Author Topic: uninstall requiring reboot  (Read 5128 times)

Offline Montgomery Minds

• View Profile
uninstall requiring reboot
« on: April 17, 2013, 09:20:10 pm »
I like ZSoft Uninstaller better than Revo Uninstaller because i get to see and edit the strings before the search begins.  I like the "Only return Whole-Word-Style matches" checkbox.  Then i know what i'm getting when i uncheck that.

So, I had a question so I asked ZSoft Guru in email:
I am set to uninstall Symantec Endpoint Protection.  It's a beast, from what i read.  I would like to use zsoft uninstaller to help.  But undoubtedly, SEP will require a reboot before it finishes uninstallation.  How will zsoft uninstaller handle this reboot?

In the same vein, it would be nice if zsoft uninstaller could:

1. save the list of strings it has decided to search for.

2. at an arbitrary time, read in a list of strings, or have the user type a list of strings, and do the same search it does after an uninstall.

I note that if it had those 2 features, even if zsoft uninstaller itself did not handle the reboot in the uninstaller for the program i am uninstalling, i could do it myself manually, by saving the list before the reboot, rebooting, then reading in the list after the reboot, and letting zsoft uninstaller search.

Thanks for your time!

And ZSoft Guru hath replied thusly:
I presume you're talking about the Post Uninstall scanning?
If that's the case, the list of search-items that is automatically filled out is already saved.
Go to "Functions -> Post uninstall manager" for a list of all the programs you have uninstalled, navigate to the program you want, double-click it, and the post-uninstall window will pop up.

I hope this helps :)

- ZSoft Software

That DOES help.  A lot!

And then i thot, well i should have posted that in the forum so that everybody can benefit.

So i am posting this follow-up question here:

When does ZSoft Uninstaller capture the strings?  Before or after the built-in uninstaller runs?  Because the built-in uninstaller will ask to reboot.  So if the answer is "after" the reboot will have ended ZSoft Uninstaller's execution.

Offline Admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • ZSoft Software
Re: uninstall requiring reboot
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2013, 07:43:19 am »
The strings are captured as the first thing...

So it goes like this:
1) You click "Uninstall"
2) ZU captures the strings and saves them to a file
3) ZU Launches the uninstall-process
4) The uninstall-process does its thing
5) When ZU "sense" that the uninstall-process has finished the small box in the bottom of the screen will appear --- but as the file was saved as the first thing you should be able to find it in the post uninstall manager any time after step 2...