Author Topic: A dangerous feature  (Read 6415 times)

Offline Majomo

• View Profile
A dangerous feature
« on: October 26, 2006, 10:29:28 pm »
TMP File Finder - I know that the application adviced us! But ZSoft Uninstaller, please see this:

I used this feature and the Office applications go away (Word/Excell, at least). How? I opened Word e.g. and it ask me for the Office CD (and then I cancel it), to install I don't know what (something that it needed). It wasn't a normal situation, and later I saw that was ZUnin.TMP File Finder the problem.

I trusted in ZGsoft Unistaller and it wanted to kill me... >:D

But God is good..., and I used your app. to restore the file (great option, that I hadn't given true worth!).? ::)

When I use a cleaner app. (CCleaner, Advanced Windows Care or others) never I had that end.

Here is the real killer...: O0

"backup\1161871157\0.zubak   C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Microsoft\Office\Data\DATA.BAK"

;)

P.S: I think that in this forum we can't attach a file. I'm right?

Offline Admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • ZSoft Software
Re: A dangerous feature
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2006, 12:03:36 pm »
No, you can't attach files in the forum... *.BAK files is usually, however, safe to delete... I do however have planned to try to make some kind of labeling thing so it is marked as "possible dangerous" to delete stuff in, for instance, a "Microsoft" folder...
« Last Edit: October 27, 2006, 02:26:08 pm by Admin »

Offline Majomo

• View Profile
Someone else have the same apprehension...
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2006, 03:00:37 am »
In a forum (28-10-2006) I saw a piquant (but very interesting and readable) analyse of ZSoft Uninstaller application.
About this issue I reproduce this:

Minor to Severe: The Temp File Finder does find some temporary files that shouldn't be removed in comparison to actual disk cleaning apps which via an ignore list never touch such files such as "opa11.bak" which must be left alone to keep Microsoft Office from requesting the install CD be inserted to restore the missing file.

:o

Offline Admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • ZSoft Software
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2006, 07:54:04 pm »
Do you know of any other files, besides "opa11.bak", that should not be removed?

Offline Majomo

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2006, 02:02:44 am »
Positively I haven't in-depth knowledge enought to furnish the information.
I' sorrowful about that. :'(

;)
-----------
P.S.: I sent a pm.

Offline Admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • ZSoft Software
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2006, 06:28:23 pm »
Well... Anyway, thank you for bringing the "opa11.bak" problem to my attention...

Bob

« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2006, 08:45:21 pm »
Maybe I'm not understanding this right, but is it correct that the Temp File Finder in this program looks for .bak files?

If so, I agree that it is dangerous.  People often use the .bak extrension to rename certain files while they experiment with things   I believe some programs also use it to backup imporatant files in previous installations while performing updates, so that they can be recovered if the update fails or becomes corrupted.  Can the file extensions searched for be edited by the user?   

I haven't actually tried your Uninstall Program yet, so forgive me if I am misinterpreting what the OP asked.

Bob

Offline Admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • ZSoft Software
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2006, 10:24:56 pm »
Yes, the Temp File Finder function in ZSoft Uninstaller, among other things, looks for files with the 'bak' extension. What to search for is, at the moment, not user-definable, but thats a feature I might add in the future...

As of it being dangerous or not, I'm really of the opinion that a *.bak file is a temporary file and should not be used for 'needed files' (e.g. as the "opa11.bak" file is needed for Microsoft Office)...
Also, it doesn't delete anything without you specifically asking it to, soo...

But yeah, I'm probably going to add a feature that allows users to change what to search for themselves...