Author Topic: Best way to update to new version 2.4?  (Read 3585 times)

Offline Brown Sugar

• View Profile
Best way to update to new version 2.4?
« on: September 10, 2007, 02:04:44 am »
I'm currently using version 2.3.  Should I:

1) uninstall version 2.3 first, but backup my Logs file directory before uninstalling, then install version 2.4 and copy the Logs subdirectory back to the Uninstaller directory?

2) Install version 2.4 and that will just write over version 2.3?

Regardless, I backup the logs directory and dat files as those are always needed.

Instead of uninstalling or writing over version 2.3, can I install version 2.4 into a separate directory and monitor the install of that with version 2.3?  This way I can save the zulog file for version 2.4, then uninstall version 2.3, and be able to have a complete uninstall of the Zsoft Uninstaller every time a new version is released.    ;D

The only way I can see that being a problem is if each Uninstaller version is written to similar registry keys.   If that's the case than an uninstall of an earlier version subsequent to the install of a later version could cause problems for the later version, as the uninstall of version 2.3 for example, might delete registry items just created by  the install of version 2.4.

« Last Edit: September 10, 2007, 02:06:52 am by Brown Sugar »

Offline Admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • ZSoft Software
Re: Best way to update to new version 2.4?
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2007, 02:34:13 pm »
You can do whatever you want to, but the easiest thing is naturally just installing on top of the old installation. It shouldn't make a difference (except that uninstalling and then installing will delete some settings (both dat files and registry settings))...

And yes, each version uses the same registry entries, so that would be a 'problem'... If you want to completely uninstall ZU (the uninstall-process *should* do this itself if you select yes when asked) just delete the installation folder, HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\ZSoft and HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\ZSoft Uninstaller and HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\App Paths\ZSoftUninstaller.exe

Offline Brown Sugar

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2007, 11:59:44 pm »
You can do whatever you want to, but the easiest thing is naturally just installing on top of the old installation. It shouldn't make a difference (except that uninstalling and then installing will delete some settings (both dat files and registry settings))...

If I first uninstall the old version, but backup the dat files, can't I copy the old *.dat files to the new version's directory?
Right now, I see 4 dat files:

hidden.dat
ignore.dat
trydelete.dat
lastsession.dat

They appear to be text files anyway, so I don't think it should be a problem unless you've updated the format of those files in some way.

Offline Admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • ZSoft Software
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2007, 09:03:01 am »
Yes, you can copy over those files, but some settings are saved in the registry... Not a whole lot (language, window size and position & which checkboxes that are checked).