Author Topic: Next Release..?  (Read 15918 times)

Offline Admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • ZSoft Software
Next Release..?
« on: August 24, 2007, 10:26:51 pm »
Now that ZSoft Uninstaler v2.4 is out the door, what do you except from the next release (v2.5)?

I currently have the following planned:
  • New tool: Empty folder searcher
  • New tool: Autostart-program-manager
  • New tool/feature: A merge of the 'scan-registry-feature' in a previous beta (note that this was removed in the final release of v2.4), the 'is-this-the-folder'-feature from when uninstalling and the folder wasn't removed and a new one that scans the start-menu and desktop for leftovers - all as a 'after-uninstaller-scan' (it should also be possible to launch it without a 'real uninstall' so you can use it to uninstall programs that doesn't have an uninstaller, or where the uninstall function doesn't work)
  • Show info about selected program on the left
  • Backup-routine so you can undo a 'delete' from the Installed Programs list

What would you like to see in the next release?

Oh, and Softpedia just made a review of ZSoft Uninstaller (v2.3.4 :() (original a 3 out of 5 rating, but it was beefed up to a 4 out of 5 one :)) - anyway, a user writes
Overall rating could be "Excellent" if it could make every step automatically just like that. I hope this feature will be added in the near feature.
Anyone knows what (s)he means - how could I make the steps more automatic?

What would it take to get you to rate ZU a good 5 out of 5? ;D
« Last Edit: August 25, 2007, 08:14:05 pm by Admin »

Offline majalidic

• View Profile
Re: Next Release..?
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2007, 06:48:40 pm »
v2.4 is great and I like it as it is but additional tools would make ZSU more powerful against any shareware competition. My favorite feature is Analyze and that is the main reason why I'm using ZSU even on Vista rather than "Programs and Features" that is extremely fast unlike "Add/Remove Programs" in Xp. What I would like to see is info on the left about selected program.

I'm not sure that user on Softpedia knows about what he wrote  ::)

Offline Admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • ZSoft Software
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2007, 08:12:57 pm »
Yeah, the info on the left-thing... better add that to the to-do-v2.5-list to :)

Offline Majomo

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2007, 05:25:13 pm »
For a uninstall application it's seems that the "New tool/feature"  (after-uninstaller-scan) is an enhancement logic and appropriate. E.g. the 'is-this-the-folder' is very appreciated by users - and if it can to be extend why not do that? A useful feature a must for those programs that wasn't analysed.

Offline dkcreatto

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2007, 09:10:33 pm »
Three things to consider here.

First to enable Unicode for ZSoft Uninstaller's next release. As I have worked hard translating it (v2.4 is done, looking at v2.4.1 for new strings) in gu-IN & hi-IN (gujarati & hindi) languages just to find out that it dont support UTF-8 encoding. I'm sure many have problems with old ASCII standard, & would like to use comfortable UTF-8 (ie. Unicode) instead.

Another thing I would suggest is to provide "Before" Uninstall scan where we can scan all possible files, services, registries & directories relating to main executable or other components in main install dir. It would make Uninstallation more accurate.And of course there should be an option to choose what to keep & what to purge in "After" Uninstall scan wizard.

Last but not least is to provide *secure* delete option in Uninstallation wizard.

Hope you will find this helpful. ThankX for such a jewel.

Regards,
dkcreatto

BTW by
Overall rating could be "Excellent" if it could make every step automatically just like that. I hope this feature will be added in the near feature.
Anyone knows what (s)he means - how could I make the steps more automatic?

She meant, I thought she might, that Installation Analyzing Process -Before & After Installation scans- should get automated. You can do that by either putting an *agent* running on system which tracks any change in system which can be regarded as installation. Or you can put some registry in system so that if any program tries to install itself registry will trigger 'Uninstaller' and then it finds the change & tracks changes to system, after all most install more or less changes registry.

Offline Admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • ZSoft Software
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2007, 01:19:00 pm »
First to enable Unicode for ZSoft Uninstaller's next release.

I would very much like to do that, but I simply don't know how... Unicode is not supported (at least by standard) in Delphi (which is what I use to make ZU)...

Another thing I would suggest is to provide "Before" Uninstall scan where we can scan all possible files, services, registries & directories relating to main executable or other components in main install dir. It would make Uninstallation more accurate.And of course there should be an option to choose what to keep & what to purge in "After" Uninstall scan wizard.

?

Last but not least is to provide *secure* delete option in Uninstallation wizard.

How do you mean? Secure delete option..?

Sorry that I seem so lost, it is not intentionally - maybe I'm just tired ::)

Offline dkcreatto

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2007, 08:39:45 pm »
I would very much like to do that, but I simply don't know how... Unicode is not supported (at least by standard) in Delphi (which is what I use to make ZU)...

Heres some links to help you...
  • Documentation & HowTo - Using Unicode in Delphi Applications [http://fundementals.sourceforge.net/unicode.html]
  • Some more docs-libraries-tools - Free Unicode and Multi-lingual Programming tools [http://www.freebyte.com/programming/unicode/]
  • Official Unicode Help : [http://www.unicode.org/onlinedat/resources.html]
  • Mike Lischke's library - [http://www.lischke-online.de/] sorry but in German (use babelfish on it)
?

:D :D :D
Please read that para again. Just to simplify I was pointing to create a *map* of installed software before *uninstallation* & then again after uninstallation look at registry & hard disk for redundant registries & files which can be related to already map created. Here you can use algorithms for scanning & comparing files & registries, just as used in registry cleaners.
Developers of Revo Uninstaller are using some what same method. Do some googling about it.

To point out one thing here -redundant registries can cause sever problems in system resources rather junk files which can be purged through many good apps available on web. And this system helps most in Registry rather emphasizing on junk files.

How do you mean? Secure delete option..?

::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::)

By that I meant that, when uninstall an *Analyzed* program in ZSoft it should use an secure deletation process (such as DOT 7 passes, Gutmann 35passes) so every file is not recoverable.

Now, wait. You have a question!
 Why secure deletation, right?

Because, simply some time people dont want to reveal what they have used, how they configured it, how they used, frequency of use ...etc.
This can be just an add-on. NO NEED FOR IT, if you provide *Uninstall to recycle bin* option.. then people like me can use CCleaner to wipe every sign of it from PC.

Hope you find this info useful. Qustions?ask more, I'm always here.Looking for Unicode compatibility soon.

O0 O0 O0 O0 O0 O0 O0 O0 O0 O0 O0 O0 O0 O0 O0 O0 O0 O0 O0 O0

Offline Admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • ZSoft Software
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2007, 05:02:48 pm »
Thanks for the links... I'll try do dive into it :) (but I wouldn't hold my breath ;))

The map thing, you want to analyze the uninstallation (!), to find out what's been removed so ZU can 'figure out' that if all but a couple of files has been deleted in a directory, the remains should probably also be deleted..?

About the secure delete thing... (Can I say 'lol' here? :P) - it seems overkill to me, but I'll write it down, so that if I someday have absolutely nothing to do, I can add it :=) (The delete to recycle bin is already an option... don't remember if it's only in then newest beta or also in the newest released version, but it's there ;))

Offline dkcreatto

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2007, 05:54:21 pm »
The map thing, you want to analyze the uninstallation (!),

Actually its *installed* software executable, its installation/common files/AppData/local settings directories, files in that directories, config files such as *ini*/*bat*/*bin*, registries etc, rather than just an installed directory & not the uninstallation in first phase.

Then, based on this *map* search & log registry & drive for similar entries, we know that many registry entries are based on DOS formate short-names. And then based on this *log* delete left-overs which were not deleted in Uninstallation. config file can be very helpful -most of the time they include paths to some files which standard uninstaller leaves back.

Give me sometime, around three days, i'll give you an Flowchart, to ease the understanding.

About the secure delete thing... (Can I say 'lol' here? Tongue) - it seems overkill to me, but I'll write it down, so that if I someday have absolutely nothing to do, I can add it :=) (The delete to recycle bin is already an option... don't remember if it's only in then newest beta or also in the newest released version, but it's there Wink)

;D Its just a add-on feature, -not required at all, as advance users -like me & you & most of all who are reading this- have their own ways to do so, such as a drive scrubber. And just to reason for its importance is just that think that you have installed Virtual Girls or something else prohibited in your office/home pc (of course, my old man cant recover files but Techy minds in office surely can. ???) , which is the safest way for not getting caught?

Unicode compatibility is essential. It give you easy way to internationalize & localize you tool

Offline palinda2

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2011, 05:53:54 pm »
thank you!!!

Offline soyabeaner

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2011, 05:02:47 pm »
Admin, any update on 64-bit development ???

Offline Admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • ZSoft Software
« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2011, 09:26:33 am »
I'm sorry, no. I'm currently very busy, and haven't had time to work on it.

MarK

« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2011, 10:28:38 am »
Hi. Version 2.5 Rev 2 is an official zsoft release?  :-\ I've seen it these days (as a new release) on portableapps dot com

Offline Admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • ZSoft Software
« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2011, 04:58:46 pm »
Only stuff on zsoft.dk is really official --- I gave someone permission to package the software as a portable app, but what has changed in "rev 2" I don't know --- can only really be the portableapps.com packaging though....