Author Topic: Installed programs menu and Uninstall option problems  (Read 6991 times)

Offline Brown Sugar

• View Profile
Installed programs menu and Uninstall option problems
« on: February 12, 2007, 06:59:29 am »
I'm using version 2.3.3 on a Windows 2000 Pro OS.  I was looking to find your three box confirmation that one must select before uninstalling, so I right clicked on a program using the "Installed Programs" tab, chose the "uninstall" option, and then selected "No" when I was asked if I wanted to uninstall. 

1) Happily, the program didn't uninstall, but the ".zulog file disappeared from my Uninstaller\Logs subdirectory, as did the selection for it in the "Analyzed Programs" tab.  It still appeared in the "Installed Programs" tab, though!

Even though the program correctly DID NOT uninstall from my programs partition, a message appears in the Info Box that states:

XXXX Program should now be uninstalled.  The list has been updated.

The program is still listed in the "Installed Programs" tab, but not on the "Analyzed Programs" tab.

2) Most of the time, the Uninstall box on the upper left doesn't work when I click it.  Right clicking with the mouse and choosing uninstall seems to be the way to handle an uninstall.

3) To test the Uninstall button, I just chose to uninstall Winrar by using the Uninstall button.  A message appeared that said that Windows is waiting for Microsoft Framework 1.1 to finish.  Suddenly, an OS message appeared that asked me if I wanted to delete MS Net Framework 1.1 Hotfix?!  Naturally, I chose "no" but this message still appeared, even though the program thankfully wasn't uninstalled:

I didn't even use Zsoft to install Net Framework!
There must be a conflict with the program and Net Framework.

I know that you use XP to test the program, but can you see if you can duplicate the uninstaller problems when choosing "no" after selecting "Uninstall".

« Last Edit: February 12, 2007, 07:16:05 am by Brown Sugar »

Offline Admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • ZSoft Software
Re: Installed programs menu and Uninstall option problems
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2007, 12:38:55 pm »
I was looking to find your three box confirmation that one must select before uninstalling, so I right clicked on a program using the "Installed Programs" tab, chose the "uninstall" option, and then selected "No" when I was asked if I wanted to uninstall.

The three confirmation boxes is only present when uninstalling something analyzed. The thing you answered "No" to, was the programs uninstall-routine - not something in ZSoft Uninstaller.

1) Happily, the program didn't uninstall, but the ".zulog file disappeared from my Uninstaller\Logs subdirectory, as did the selection for it in the "Analyzed Programs" tab.  It still appeared in the "Installed Programs" tab, though!

You clicked the uninstall button in the "Installed Programs" tab, and the .zulog file was deleted?!?

Even though the program correctly DID NOT uninstall from my programs partition, a message appears in the Info Box that states:

XXXX Program should now be uninstalled.  The list has been updated.
In the "Installed Programs" tab ZSoft Uninstaller just runs the applications own uninstall-routine, waits for it to finish (read: Wait for the routine to close) and says that the program _should_ be uninstalled... ZSoft Uninstaller have no way of knowing that you pressed 'no' in the uninstall-routine in another application.

The program is still listed in the "Installed Programs" tab, but not on the "Analyzed Programs" tab.
And it _was_ listed in the "Analyzed Programs" tab before?

2) Most of the time, the Uninstall box on the upper left doesn't work when I click it.  Right clicking with the mouse and choosing uninstall seems to be the way to handle an uninstall.
This seems very weired... The big "Uninstall" button in the top is just a 'link' to the right-click button... It is however the program selected in the list that will be uninstalled!

3) To test the Uninstall button, I just chose to uninstall Winrar by using the Uninstall button.  A message appeared that said that Windows is waiting for Microsoft Framework 1.1 to finish.  Suddenly, an OS message appeared that asked me if I wanted to delete MS Net Framework 1.1 Hotfix?!  Naturally, I chose "no" but this message still appeared, even though the program thankfully wasn't uninstalled: (img)

Considering that the text on the left (the text on the picture) says .Net framework, the program seems to be think that it is the .net framework you wanted to uninstall... Aren't there a little chance that you have selected a wrong item on the list?

I didn't even use Zsoft to install Net Framework!
Doesn't matter - as previously said, the "Installed Programs" tab is just a 'front-end' for the data in the registry, and when selecting 'uninstall' the programs own uninstall-routine being executed...

Offline Admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • ZSoft Software
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2007, 12:41:48 pm »
Okay, maybe I've found (at least part of the problem)...

When you tried to remove Winrar you selected it from the "Analyzed Programs" tab..? And hat the .net framework selected in the "Installed Programs" framework..?

The Uninstall Button on the top is a 'link' to the right-click-uninstall-thing in the "Installed Programs" list... (I'll fix that in the next release)

Offline Brown Sugar

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2007, 08:35:37 pm »
Sorry it took so long to reply, but I didn't want to respond until I had time to recreate the problem and load Screenhunter so that I could attach small image files.

I'm happy to report that I couldn't recreate the problem with uninstalling even though I chose not to. 
My system was running slow at the time (I've noticed that Zsoft sometimes uses 70% even when idle.  Is there an issue with certain AV scanners and Zsoft?) and the uninstalling problem could have been due to a delay after pressing a button 2x.

From what I now understand, if I click on the top menu Uninstall button, that starts the MS uninstaller, but if I right click and choose uninstall, that's a Zsoft uninstall.   Is that correct?

I'm looking forward to loading the upgrade.   Thanks for a great program.

Offline Admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • ZSoft Software
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2007, 09:00:00 pm »
That ZSoft Uninstaller uses 70% CPU when idle is very weird :S (I have never experienced that - does it still do it, or was it a one-time-thing?).

I unfortunately don't know if there is problems with any antivirus software and ZSoft Uninstaller.

From what I now understand, if I click on the top menu Uninstall button, that starts the MS uninstaller, but if I right click and choose uninstall, that's a Zsoft uninstall.   Is that correct?
No, that's not correct. Clicking the button on the toolbar and right-clicking does the same thing. If you are either in the 'Installed Programs' or 'Hidden Programs' tab, it launches the programs own uninstall routine (just as the Add/Remove applet in Windows would do it), if you are in the 'Analyzed Programs' tab it starts the 'ZSoft Uninstall' (as you describe it).

When launching the programs own uninstall routine ZSoft Uninstaller however also tries to figure out where the program you are trying to uninstall is installed, waits for the uninstall-process to finish, and if the folder isn't deleted it asks you if you want to delete it (so it does do a little more than the standard Add/Remove thing).

Note: In 2.3.3 there was a small bug - if you was in the 'Analyzed Programs' tab and clicked the 'Uninstall' button on the toolbar it would start the uninstall routine of the program selected in the 'Installed Programs' tab. This is fixed in 2.3.4