Author Topic: ZSoft Uninstaller v2.5 *BETA* (aka 'please help test the new release')  (Read 90037 times)

user4

Soyabeaner understood what I meant to say. Sometimes uninstalling just doesn't work (even though the program that was supposed to be uninstalled may have been removed 100%). An updated log will almost certainly indicate what was\is causing the problem and whether it is something that can be ignored or not.

With the current situation, I try to uninstall a few times and if it still fails I delete the log, hoping everything went well (but not knowing the culprit).

Offline Admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • ZSoft Software
You don't have to uninstall the log again and again. If you do it once, any failures are added to a new list from which ZU will then try again (by itself)...

So, I don't really see the point in the 'update the log'... That being said though, I think it'd be pretty easy to do, so I'll add it to my todo list...

Offline soyabeaner

• View Profile
You mean the TryDelete.dat?  Is it viewable through Notepad like the .zulog files?

Sometimes I know certain reg entries cannot be deleted no matter how many attempts because they are shared by other software currently in use.

Offline Admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • ZSoft Software
Yes, it's viewable trough notepad... It's not the same format as the zulog files, but it's plaintext...

Offline Majomo

• View Profile
Ignore list (Bug?)

I noticed that when I try to add a folder with "Add item to ignore-list" (Edit Analyzed Log tab), it hasn't effect in a future new analyze.

It seems that the reason is: the folder comes out (in Ignore List'tab) like: C:\WINDOWS\Prefetch

If I add through Ignore List'tab: C:\WINDOWS\Prefetch\ (with "\" in the end). Here it works well.

I don't know if there is similar annoyance with registry entries.

Offline Majomo

• View Profile
It seems that there aren't any annoyance with registry entries'ignore list (through Edit Analyzed Log tab).

Folders only.

:-\

Offline Admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • ZSoft Software
Sorry for not getting back on this sooner... It's fixed in the newest beta. I think ;)
(New beta uploaded)

Offline Majomo

• View Profile
Yes, the ignore list issue is fixed. So you think very well...  8)

Open install folder is working well (and the icon).   ;) Post uninstall manager is useful (a delete'right click to remove old items perhaps?). It seems also that user4/soyabeaner'request is ok too.

Is it forecasted that the items will be deleted to recycle bin in search feature?

:)

Offline Admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • ZSoft Software
Right-click delete of post-install is a good idea -- I'll add it =)

About the search feature, yes, I think deleting files to the recycle bin is the way to go (that way users can undo it themselves) (or, maybe giving the user options like 'delete to bin', 'backup and delete', 'delete' just as in the temp-file-remover..?)... And automatically backing up the registry entries...

Offline sovereignty68

• View Profile
How about an invalid shortcuts finder that supports x64 Vista? I've encountered many program uninstalled without removing the shortcuts...

user4

You don't have to uninstall the log again and again. If you do it once, any failures are added to a new list from which ZU will then try again (by itself)...

So, I don't really see the point in the 'update the log'... That being said though, I think it'd be pretty easy to do, so I'll add it to my todo list...

That's working now. Brilliant! Thank you very much.

Offline sovereignty68

• View Profile
Empty Folders Finder:

It's a handy tool.  :D
Maybe "Start Scan" and "Removed Selected" buttons are too long. And maybe the two buttons should be in the same line (where is "Start Scan").

Search:

If I have a app. named Acrypt it's found entries like (between others):

HKLM\SOFTWARE\Classes\System.Security.Cryptography.DSACryptoServiceProvider

If I have a app. named Copier it's found entries like (between others):

HKLM\SOFTWARE\Adaptec\Easy CD Creator\5.0\CDCopier.exe
HKU\...\Software\Adaptec\Adaptec Shared\CDEngine\Devices\Roxio Disc Copier

If I have a app. named Adobe Reader it's found entries like (between others):

HKLM\SOFTWARE\Classes\Applications\Foxit Reader.exe
HKLM\SOFTWARE\Classes\Applications\FOXITR~1.EXE\shell\FriendlyCache ; Data : Foxit Reader
HKLM\SOFTWARE\Classes\CLSID\{...}\(Default) ; Data : System.Threading.ReaderWriterLock
HKLM\SOFTWARE\Classes\Interface\{...}\(Default) ; Data : IAsyncReader
HKU\...\Software\Foxit Software\Foxit Reader
HKU\...\Software\MGShareware\FreeRIP\CDReader
HKU\...\Software\VB and VBA Program Settings\Reader SpeedUp!

So, I think that the 1) "DisplayName", 2) Uninstall Entry Name, 3) Installation Folder Name (not the path), 4) "Publisher" should be removed from the standard (default) search.

When I do that the result is far more reliable. And I think it's better for the common user - that doesn't must to know registry issues (he only wants that the application does a good work).

How about scan and log executable filenames in installation folders, uninstall the program, search the logged filenames in registry? I also strongly suggest registry cleaner to use ignore list either from Analyze Installation or seperate one when searching for remanence. With ignore list, then I can use ZSoft Uninstaller on Vista x64.  ;D
« Last Edit: June 19, 2008, 08:47:21 am by sovereignty68 »

Offline Admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • ZSoft Software

Offline Admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • ZSoft Software
New build uploaded...

New stuff:
- Tools -> Uninstall external application (allows you to use the 'post uninstaller' on applications with no uninstaller (i.e. you choose the exe file from the install dir, and ZU makes it scan)
- A few bug-fixes
- Probably some other small stuff that I've forgotten... ;)

Offline Admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • ZSoft Software
New build uploaded...

The 'Post Uninstaller' feature will now highlight stuff in bold, if it contains one of the search-words in a 'whole word fashion'.
If one of the search-words is 'web', the 'Post Uninstaller' will find stuff with 'web' in it. That could be 'See you on the web', 'Made by Webster', 'wwweb ,o)', etc. etc. etc. That's how it was, and that's how it still is. With this addition, only 'See you on the web' (in the example) will also be highlighted in bold (as it contains the WORD 'web').

Hope you understand :)
« Last Edit: July 22, 2008, 09:27:33 pm by Admin »