Author Topic: Prototyping Zsoft tasklist on beta 2.5  (Read 11943 times)

Offline scrtadmr2

• View Profile
Prototyping Zsoft tasklist on beta 2.5
« on: March 17, 2008, 05:15:39 pm »
In development, we create a task-list where we define the task and completion time frame. Now, if we can prototype the design, we can save on coding maintenance. It takes time to program, i/o layouts, maintain, etc. Here my first phase, quick glance suggestion for product improvement. Please feel free to debate and to narrow the choices then we could do a poll if amicable solution not available.

Zsoft application file should be called zsoft rather than uninstall. This name does not properly identify the application association. Also, top level naming methodology.

The word ANALYZE under the magnifying glass should be called Zsoft. It is the main module where all things access and be done. Any user can immediately deduce that it is important to go there. It does more than analyze, it uninstall. It monitor an install (personally, I would call it zinstall to imply that zsoft monitor the install or change log of install).

Temp file finder has a lot of criticism. Backup should be where start button is. Search Tmp file should be the label of this pop box. By using this convention, we can avoid using start search and stop search. The main box is a search and so labeling ireduce to start or stop button label. By saving on real estate display, we have more room for sub folder in our selection and it can be seen. Showing as much information on a file name and/or path assist in our approval for removal process.
Recommend BACKUP, File, START, STOP. This is logical sequence of things from left to right.
- The word EXTENSION should be change to TYPE. By doing this, we have more room to display the file or directory information. Since we are deleting, we want to make sure we are deleting the correct file.
- The word PLACE should be change to a more meaning name. Path or Directory or adopt the standard used by most software. I mention to debate the merit and and for a solution.
-Since filename has extension, it redundant to have TYPE / "EXTENSION".
- OR by removing type in between file name and path, we increase the chance of reading a straight line of important association. Note, file type already mention in file name.
- Modified Time can be change to Modify. For it not only time and day displayed.

Please feel to critique and fight for wording. Just posting personal eyesores.
Rather than be creative, use standard that major software are using. They have full staff to debate and think for us. Familiarity is the key to simplicity.

In empty folder finder, start scan button overlap the L. Size of start button open to debate but I believe in uniformity of the OS system.

These suggestion open debate for additional refinement. I have additional simple suggestion for 2.4 that I dislike - pop up that is the heart of this product. Will provide if encourage for it takes time to type.

Temp file search error not recreated (my initial environment changed).  Anyway, have the bug report log and would send to you. Have a feeling it is an initialization problem.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2008, 03:51:16 am by scrtadmr2 »

Offline Admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • ZSoft Software
Re: Prototyping Zsoft tasklist on beta 2.5
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2008, 11:27:26 am »
Zsoft application file should be called zsoft rather than uninstall. This name does not properly identify the application association. Also, top level naming methodology.
To much work... doesn't matter in my eyes.

The word ANALYZE under the magnifying glass should be called Zsoft.
No. Analyze has meaning. ZSoft is just a name.

Recommend BACKUP, File, START, STOP. This is logical sequence of things from left to right.
Probably true.

- The word EXTENSION should be change to TYPE. By doing this, we have more room to display the file or directory information. Since we are deleting, we want to make sure we are deleting the correct file.
- The word PLACE should be change to a more meaning name. Path or Directory or adopt the standard used by most software. I mention to debate the merit and and for a solution.
[...]
- Modified Time can be change to Modify. For it not only time and day displayed.
If I were to change 'Modified Time' to something it would probably 'Last Modified', but besides that, you're probably right.

In empty folder finder, start scan button overlap the L. Size of start button open to debate but I believe in uniformity of the OS system.
Hmm... not the case here... Picture please =)

I have additional simple suggestion for 2.4 that I dislike   in major / important pop up that is the heart of this product).
Please share =)

have the bug report log and would send to you.
Please send it to me :)

Offline scrtadmr2

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2008, 02:43:12 am »
To much work... doesn't matter in my eyes.
> Use the rename uninstall or copy uninstall zsoft. How much work is that? Programming 101, use meaningful words for variables and files. Luckily, I know to click for 2.5beta but other users might not be that lucky. Vote survey

The word ANALYZE under the magnifying glass should be called Zsoft.
No. Analyze has meaning. ZSoft is just a name.
> How does ANALYZE has meaning for uninstall. When u click the magnify glass, user is given the zsoft heart of uninstall or monitor an installation. Vote survey.

Hmm... not the case here... Picture please =)
> Thia is very low level bug and u should see Only scan top-leve and then the start button. Start button in foreground. If u are not seeing then let leave at that for now. Been awhile I have screen snapshot. Any software recommendation. Have to go to backup hd and try to recall my snippet program name to find.

I have additional simple suggestion for 2.4 that I dislike   in major / important pop up that is the heart of this product).
Please share =)
> If above simple things are too much work then things to share requires more maintenance by u and lot of documentation  by me. I wait for other readers response / vote survey to get u going on these simple changes. If I cannot have them for these changes, then no way can I get for that overhaul.

have the bug report log and would send to you.
Please send it to me :)
> Do u want to laugh at me like how I seperate uninstall application from language. It was around that time, my first time usage. Sent wed mar 20/2008
« Last Edit: March 23, 2008, 05:20:46 pm by scrtadmr2 »

Offline Admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • ZSoft Software
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2008, 12:46:35 pm »
Use the rename uninstall or copy uninstall zsoft.
Well, it's every time, easy forgettable, will destroy every shortcut to the application a user already has etc. Still don't see the point.

How does ANALYZE has meaning for uninstall. When u click the magnify glass, user is given the zsoft heart of uninstall or monitor an installation. Vote survey.
It has meaning because that's what it does. It analyzes an installation. And as I see it, it might be the 'biggest selling point', but it isn't 'the heart of the application'. Many users don't probably only want a replacement for add/remove - basic uninstallation is the 'heart of the application' imo...

When u say probably right are u agreeing to implement this paragraph suggestions? If not, users support my suggestion or are u happy with beta design layout.
Basically agree, yes.

Thia is very low level bug and u should see Only scan top-leve and then the start button. Start button in foreground. If u are not seeing then let leave at that for now. Been awhile I have screen snapshot. Any software recommendation. Have to go to backup hd and try to recall my snippet program name to find.
My keyboard has a 'Print Screen' button :P

If above simple things are too much work then things to share requires more maintenance by u and lot of documentation  by me. I wait for other readers response / vote survey to get u going on these simple changes. If I cannot have them for these changes, then no way can I get for that overhaul.
I have to admit, that it is not so much about 'to much work' as it is about me not agreeing with everything you say ;)

The bug report: I have to admit that I can't really see anything from it :(
It looks like you clicked the 'Temp File Finder' button, and it 'bugged' at "tmpFileSearcher.ShowModal;" which doesn't make a lot of sense...

Offline scrtadmr2

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2008, 06:00:09 pm »
>Use the rename uninstall or copy uninstall zsoft.
Well, it's every time, easy forgettable, will destroy every shortcut to the application a user already has etc. Still don't see the point.
> I see the point in the name of uninstall already in use and short cut to application will create confusion for some users
. So, if u want to leave like that. Go ahead.
   In reference to don't see the point, other software "application name" is "name of the product". For eg., we do not see  browser but we see the name firefox. It just naming methodology. Look at any commercial software and they use the name of software for application execution or launch of product. Was suggesting that short cut icon point to a file called zsoft  uninstall or zsoft instead of uninstall.

(
How does ANALYZE has meaning for uninstall. When u click the magnify glass, user is given the zsoft heart of uninstall or monitor an installation. Vote survey.
It has meaning because that's what it does. It analyzes an installation. And as I see it, it might be the 'biggest selling point', but it isn't 'the heart of the application'. Many users don't probably only want a replacement for add/remove - basic uninstallation is the 'heart of the application' imo...
>>> That s why I dwnld prog, to uninstall or install applic. Now, I have hd bckup of my system to do same.
> When I click on the magnify glass, I see a pop up window. In that pop up window, I can  toggle for ANALYZE an application or  toggle for uninstall of an application. Now, that pop up window allows me to do one of two things. Sarcastically, what did I click to get that pop up window? I click the magnify glass name and I am trying to complain on that word or label name for that magnify glass - ANALYZE. Tell u what, find someone who never use your product. Tell them u have applications installed and u want to test users ease of use to uninstall an application. That all u going to say and just observe. If I am that first time user and u ask, I will not click on magnify glass for it says Analyze. I will look for icons related to UNINSTALL.
Now, if u name that magnify glass to a name to mean and to do either then first timers will know to zero in on that icon. I suggested zsoft to bring attention to that icon. Not only am I suggesting a problem, I am also proposing a solution. Problem there and would like users to suggest more meaningful name for that magnify icon.
--->> In another note, how do u analyze an install. Toggle analyze to on, click next, check-mark drive C, and then what others steps (several) do u do??
>> Conclusion; In 2.4, u did not have tools and drop down box. In 2.5 u have Tool, and drop down box with Analyze, ...
By having TOOL, any monkey can use. From there, I click Analyze for most likely choice of the three, then I see the analyze box, I see I can do install or uninstall. I can live with that. When I use 2.4, it was not difficult for me to use for I had experience with other product. I was just crticial of 2.4.and use of that word for first timers. Case close.  :)

We agree on tmp file box.  :) Too bad u have to maintain program. If u had prototype that interface, I would have critique earlier and thus make life easier for u.

Thia is very low level bug and u should see Only scan top-leve and then the start button. Start button in foreground. If u are not seeing then let leave at that for now. Been awhile I have screen snapshot. Any software recommendation. Have to go to backup hd and try to recall my snippet program name to find.
My keyboard has a 'Print Screen' button :P
> Tx for telling me. Now, I have to find it-Save Screen. I getting back to computers for  Print Screen means what is displayed is printed on the printer and that what I use for when I had dot matrix printer. Then I had my friend snapshot prog. Have not use those buttons for long time for I normally do not test other people product or as a job a long time ago. U are different.
Vista has snipping tool and that why I mention back hd for I did not see in all prog, access. Anyway, snapshot take and will email.  :)

If above simple things are too much work then things to share requires more maintenance by u and lot of documentation  by me. I wait for other readers response / vote survey to get u going on these simple changes. If I cannot have them for these changes, then no way can I get for that overhaul.
I have to admit, that it is not so much about 'to much work' as it is about me not agreeing with everything you say ;)
> I wish if other users get in on the debate to create an interface that even monkeys (phrase to mean any user) can deduce. I guess it is very easy to use for nobody is stating any negative and that good news for u. Only I am whining.

The bug report: I have to admit that I can't really see anything from it :(
It looks like you clicked the 'Temp File Finder' button, and it 'bugged' at "tmpFileSearcher.ShowModal;" which doesn't make a lot of sense. Dont lose any sleep on it. It was on first time entry and usage and that what I did - just click on that button. When I click again after bug report, no error msg. Keep an eye if other users mention similar. More first time usage testing on that feature (Instal zsoft on virgin computer to try and dup- my comp no longer a virgin zsoft install). If bug, nothing destructive..
Dont try to make sense, verify initialization   ;) done properly, and put some tracer variables when or if other users get similar.[/quote]

Happy Easter and Good Friday.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2008, 05:35:41 pm by scrtadmr2 »

Offline Admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • ZSoft Software
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2008, 03:18:52 pm »
For eg., we do not see  browser but we see the name firefox.
Yes, we see Firefox, but we don't see Mozilla ;) :P

When I click on the magnify glass, I see a pop up window. In that pop up window, I can  toggle for ANALYZE an application or  toggle for uninstall of an application. Now, that pop up window allows me to do one of two things. Sarcastically, what did I click to get that pop up window? I click the magnify glass name and I am trying to complain on that word or label name for that magnify glass - ANALYZE. Tell u what, find someone who never use your product. Tell them u have applications installed and u want to test users ease of use to uninstall an application. That all u going to say and just observe. If I am that first time user and u ask, I will not click on magnify glass for it says Analyze. I will look for icons related to UNINSTALL.
Now, if u name that magnify glass to a name to mean and to do either then first timers will know to zero in on that icon. I suggested zsoft to bring attention to that icon. Not only am I suggesting a problem, I am also proposing a solution. Problem there and would like users to suggest more meaningful name for that magnify icon.
Alright, you might be right that 'Analyze' is not the best name, but I don't see 'ZSoft' being it either ;)
Besides, if you are a first-time user who want to uninstall something, you should go to the uninstall-icon, not the analyze icon ;) As a first-time user you only go to the analyze-icon when you are supposed to install something...

About the Tool-menu... another user pointed out that 'Analyze' doesn't fit that description as it is not a tool, but a 'main-feature' - which I agree to. I still think it should be in the menu as well, but not in a group called 'Tools' (yeah, I know that's where it's currently is, but I'm going to move it at some point :))

I wish if other users get in on the debate to create an interface that even monkeys (phrase to mean any user) can deduce. I guess it is very easy to use for nobody is stating any negative and that good news for u. Only I am whining.
Perhaps... but it might also just be so hard to use that people aren't finding the 'advanced features' :/

Dont lose any sleep on it.
;D

You too. Saturday, though... now :)

Offline scrtadmr2

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2008, 07:36:12 am »
For eg., we do not see  browser but we see the name firefox.
Yes, we see Firefox, but we don't see Mozilla ;) :P
>> I mention  uninstall.exe, 804k, should follow high level naming convention. U mention u did not see the point. When I suggest, naming convention I mention most commercial software product and I provide an example hoping the person understand. I pick one product just to convey idea and the point. They pick a file name firefox and not generic name like uninstall or browser. And if u had one file called firefox and a duplicate file with name of mozilla, I would say u are being finance by hd manufacturer and I will be screaming godzilla about wasting my hd space. Just to let u know without researching, firefox is the brand name of a browser and mozilla is the company or publisher. I am not debating organization chart of mozilla but product branding.
If u want to use proper naming methodology, I will call the 804k file, zsoft.exe. Also, u define to the shortcut icon to execute that file name. It will not be confusing because this is invisible to normal users since  download package work appropriately in that stand alone and downloaded package. It simple if u want to do.

When I click on the magnify glass, I see apop up window. In that pop up window, I can  toggle for ANALYZE an application or  toggle for uninstall of an application. Now, that pop up window allows me to do one of two things. Sarcastically, what did I click to get that pop up window? I click the magnify glass name and I am trying to complain on that word or label name for that magnify glass - ANALYZE. Tell u what, find someone who never use your product. Tell them u have applications installed and u want to test users ease of use to uninstall an application. That all u going to say and just observe. If I am that first time user and u ask, I will not click on magnify glass for it says Analyze. I will look for icons related to UNINSTALL.
Alright, you might be right that 'Analyze' is not the best name, but I don't see 'ZSoft' being it either ;)
Besides, if you are a first-time user who want to uninstall something, you should go to the uninstall-icon, not the analyze icon ;) As a first-time user you only go to the analyze-icon when you are supposed to install something...
>> If I am first time user and I want to do an uninstall, I would have a problem if I am a monkey (too complex for that monkey has to have some familiarity with highlighting selection). I would not be able to uninstall without reading and I hope documentation is clear.
Now, monkey first time action as first time user is click uninstall and monkey would say where is the action and reaction. LOL for there is no feedback and monkey goes banana. (note: monkey refer to illiterate / non-computer user). 

U suggested first time user downloaded  product and they are NOT doing a monitor uninstall (u got to be f#!%@ kidding me!! Like they need crap remaining in registry after uninstall and your product does a clean uninstall using snapshot log, I hope. If first timer not using uninstall log, I do not want to name call, swear, and hurl insult.).

About the Tool-menu... another user pointed out that 'Analyze' doesn't fit that description as it is not a tool, but a 'main-feature' - which I agree to. I still think it should be in the menu as well, but not in a group called 'Tools' (yeah, I know that's where it's currently is, but I'm going to move it at some point  :))
>> Is that user reading our discussion? Ask what he/she thinks about zsoft as the name replacement for Analyze or name suggestion.
Personally, more detail on u saying it should be in menu but if user knows to target that pop up box then we do not it in menu. The key to any product is simplicity and we avoid by slapping all these signs.

If u call that magnify glass icon, zsoft, then u do not have problem for it is the main feature. Users will know to target that icon since it is name zsoft.
Zsoft is the right name for u kinda said it is but u have not realize it is the right name. Remember, we discuss the heart of your product and that is to do install and uninstall and that is what people want - zsoft. That the meaning of zsoft, an application uninstaller which works by taking snapshots. Now, when user click zsoft icon or zsoft, we see the pop up box where user select toggle uninstall or install. Guys, help me convince the admin to use that name for now.
=>=>=> Oh, Oh, oh. What about replacing Analyze with the word Manage or Manager  ???  but I still like zsoft (short and no translation required).

Tools - the only one we need is verrrrrrry gooood reg cleaner on unmonitored/unlog install. Go back to my design suggestion on lean and mean. That is why I hated that prior commercial product-adding crap and I do not know how good is that crap.
-->> The hunter in revo useful if u see a black(unknown) box and u want to know what file it creating or executing that, then hunter is useful for I see the executed file name. Now, that feature to do is 6 out of 10 to do. M to do list is base on need, size of coding, number of tools in application, vote response saying yes, ...

I wish if other users get in on the debate to create an interface that even monkeys (phrase to mean any user) can deduce. I guess it is very easy to use for nobody is stating any negative and that good news for u. Okay, I am whining.
Perhaps... but it might also just be so hard to use that people aren't finding the 'advanced features' :/ [/quote]
>> We are just discussing naming terminology. They spend time brain storming for a meaningful name for I will identify the problem areas. Or they send u paypal and is another form of support.

Dont lose any sleep on it.
;D
Have trust in some people, define your beta in tasklist, prototype the layout interface, inform all users to go there and critique, give them 3 months with mention on each web page. Implement and u will have less design maintenance but logic problem is good algorithm from square one. Oh, then u will have good sleep.

You too. Saturday, though... now :)
Boy are we going to debate on this too and glad u did not notice GF comes before E (artistic merit to start with happy). I sent msg on Good Friday. Easter around the corner. Now, if u saw msg after the fact u can mention but if u see, just say thanks. Thanks.

> Sent u email with print screen of problem. If u need more details on my computer feel free

-->> In last post, I mentioned: 'In another note, how do u analyze an install. Toggle analyze to on, click next, check-mark drive C, and then what others steps (several) do u do??', u did not respond

>In another note,  confirm the following, I ... check-box. The variables to remember check-boxes after my first time use, are they save or written to a file. If yes I am happy for I did complain about those boxes and I propose a solution. U said u were going to save the variables for future usage rather than implement my suggestion.

>> backup log is copy of log for normal programmer. Advance programmer use merge.- new backup log is old backup log merge with current log. Why? People can use backup log to store all there zulogs! Pack-rats  can do manual house-keepjng/delete but at least they would not gripe about losing any zulog file like I did in 2.4. I would need to pack-rat like that if I do not have a hd backup. Or provide function to export the log. It just a matter of allowing user to change default drive, default dir, default/rename log  before copying. Give user control on where to store zulog backup if zulogs are important. Do I have to lecture the importance of exporting important files? All I am saying is give user control to change some of the copy instructions prior to u doing copying and thus it becomes export.
> LOL, your finder tool actually a very basic cleaner or file and folder tool. Let's have zsoft cleaner with more bite and related to a clean uninstall without zulog - separate the men from the boys(temp - my browser has that option to clean). Did I mention I think your uninstall of DAP without using zulog does not do a clean job.
Just to remove one application without zulog (u know why I lost zulog and stop lol), I am going nuts for each zillion found entry, menu driven del with menu driven confirmation. Yikes. Help. Nice to search for publisher, software in Key name, value name, value data with one click confirm for all That is a tool for it is related to uninstall with control or power to user. This tool useful after ms or crappy uninstall and allows me to regedit without all these clicking.

Tested your start-up manager by requesting one prog not auto start. Restart and ok. Just wondering,  is there anything wrong or u dislike with microsoft start-up manager?

Prior, u mention questionable code in beta 2.5 not activated and thus no problem. When u do activate, can u please let us know so we will be careful on that version and your concern for  danger. Since that code not being activated, I will remove 2.4 from my system for u kinda assured me log creation is working correctly in 2.5. When will u activate that code so we can test that for u?
« Last Edit: March 27, 2008, 05:37:39 am by scrtadmr2 »

Offline Admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • ZSoft Software
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2008, 10:54:36 pm »
Sorry about the late reply, I've been kind of busy with some other stuff...

The naming methodology thing... Mozilla Firefox is the full product name, Mozilla is the developer/company/whatever, Firefox is the name of the product. Executable is called firefox.exe.
ZSoft Software is the full product name, ZSoft is the developer/me/whatever, Uninstaller is the name of the product (kind of, anyway). Executable is called uninstaller...
Either way, renaming it now _would_ create problems for some users. You made a custom shortcut, or just moved a 'created-upon-installation'-one? After a rename it won't work...
A such change will do more harm than good.

First time user ting... As I see it, a standard approach to becoming a ZU user (hey, maybe 'zu.exe' should be the name of the executable... won't be though ;)) would be like this:
User wants to uninstall some program
User loads up add/remove, finds that it suck
User goes to google or download.com or something looking for an alternative, finds ZU.
User starts ZU, uninstalls the application (without logs etc.).
User is happy... perhaps, though, the user figure out the ZU can do more than that... eventually...

Either way, though, a first time user can't uninstall with the log-option, as the user does not have a log of the application. To be able to use the feature the user will have to analyze, install a new application, analyze and then, eventually uninstall with the log... (and no, analyze, reinstall, analyze won't do you any good as it will most likely not change your system).

The tool-menu thingy: I don't know if the user is currently reading our discussion, it was mentioned a couple of moths ago in an email...

Friday, saturday thing: No discussion starter there... not intended, anyway. Merely pointing out that I had been 'slow'...

The I didn't respond part: Your right, I didn't... why? I didn't understand what you meant. Sorry.

Backup thing: I could easily add a 'Backup log files' menu item, allowing you to back the logs up to wherever you want it...

Startup-manager: I don't dislike MS start-up manager (suppose your talking about msconfig, right?), I just don't necessarily see it as userfriendly... I like my version better :)

Questionably code: I'm sorry, what? I don't think I've said that...

Offline scrtadmr2

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2008, 02:21:55 am »
Sorry about the late reply, I've been kind of busy with some other stuff...
> I expect u to spend more time on developing and other jobs for this is just interfacing discussion. :)

The naming methodology thing... Mozilla Firefox is the full product name, Mozilla is the developer/company/whatever, Firefox is the name of the product. Executable is called firefox.exe.
ZSoft Software is the full product name, ZSoft is the developer/me/whatever, Uninstaller is the name of the product (kind >of, anyway). Executable is called uninstaller...
Either way, renaming it now _would_ create problems for some users. You made a custom shortcut, or just moved a 'created-upon-installation'-one? After a rename it won't work...
A such change will do more harm than good.
> Sorry, but did not know the full product name is a generic and plain name "uninstaller".  :o Since u are following high level naming convention, then this case is close.  :) Just letting u know, there are different types of uninstaller and would have like to find your product sooner which uses snapshot algorithm for my vista. Found due to lot reading on software to install on my vista. Even using download.com initially, I did not come across your product but knock on wood.

First time user ting... As I see it, a standard approach to becoming a ZU user (hey, maybe 'zu.exe' should be the name of the executable... won't be though ;)) would be like this:
User wants to uninstall some program
User loads up add/remove, finds that it suck
User goes to google or download.com or something looking for an alternative, finds ZU.
User starts ZU, uninstalls the application (without logs etc.).
User is happy... perhaps, though, the user figure out the ZU can do more than that... eventually...
> If that is the way how u want users to discover your product then so be it. Luckily, I am familiar with your application technique prior to using and so I appreciated your product immediately. :)

Either way, though, a first time user can't uninstall with the log-option, as the user does not have a log of the application. To be able to use the feature the user will have to analyze, install a new application, analyze and then, eventually uninstall with the log... (and no, analyze, reinstall, analyze won't do you any good as it will most likely not change your system).
> Was just trying to say users should be aware of analyze first upon first time users using your product. :)

The I didn't respond part: Your right, I didn't... why? I didn't understand what you meant. Sorry.
> No offense taken but was just trying to mention some first time users would have to discover how to use product. ::)

Backup thing: I could easily add a 'Backup log files' menu item, allowing you to back the logs up to wherever you want it...
> Good. Most product provides this flexibility for we know logs are important to your system. Nice if we can specify which log directory to use from when we do zulog uninstall. Sorry like u did not have  enough work.. LOL ;D

Startup-manager: I don't dislike MS start-up manager (suppose your talking about msconfig, right?), I just don't necessarily see it as userfriendly... I like my version better :)
> No, I was not talking about msconfig and was just setting u up to understand you. For readers using vista, do not use msconfig to disable services, safer approach type "services.msc" in the Run box. I use bad approach and knock on wood.
U mention zsoft should be one application with all needs in your application for I did complain about redundancy. I was going to mention calling the Ms startup manager from your application rather than rewriting what ms is doing. In vista, they have same concept as yours with uncheck box to remove from auto startup. Ms startup in vista is more professional. Cannot recall XP pro interface is like vista. I think it is and trying to say, use a call to ms start-up exe. Use ms or u have more coding to do. Interfacing challenge exercise of ms appl to your appl but less coding and thus work. Do u have access to vista?

Questionably code: I'm sorry, what? I don't think I've said that...
> http://forum.zsoft.dk/index.php/topic,188.msg953.html#msg953
> U mention in repy 9 in my topic regarding losing zulog. Zsoft internals. Here's the quote:
First of all all the new planned/already included features (in 2.5) has to do with uninstalling (kind of, anyway).
Secondly the new stuff is 'offers' hidden away in menus (mostly).
Thirdly it is new segments in the code. Even though the new stuff might be buggy it won't interfere with the old stuff (unless it of course crashes everything, but it won't do that unless you use it Wink).
 >> Was asking about unless u use what??? .Wink). I got it now that u believe all working correctly and my concern was zulog file creation working properly for zulog creation is important on my virgin installs. Hate doing manual regedit.

> Take your time to respond for u would give me time to edit this post, utilize highlights, gather info, etc. . I post during my breaks. Tx. :)
« Last Edit: April 01, 2008, 05:26:31 pm by scrtadmr2 »

Offline Admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • ZSoft Software
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2008, 07:10:13 pm »
If that is the way how u want users to discover your product then so be it.
It isn't necessarily how i _want_ users to discover ZU, I just think it's the most realistic way...

Maybe i could add an annoying first-time-popup-thingy like the 'did you know?'... hmm... I personally hate that, but what do you think?

No, I was not talking about msconfig and was just setting u up to understand you. For readers using vista, do not use msconfig to disable services, safer approach type "services.msc" in the Run box. I use bad approach and knock on wood.
Just for the record, services and auto-starting programs are not (exactly) the same...

I don't have [access to] Vista (and quite frankly don't want to, either  ;)), but I personally think that the msconfig thing (I think that's the only thing build-in to WinXP) isn't the most userfriendly app in the world...

Was asking about unless u use what??? .Wink).
Ahh... First of all I think the keyword in what I said was 'might'. Secondly it was a thought example, and I simply wanted to point out that adding new features wouldn't, per se, effect the 'old program', thus, if you don't want/need the new features, you don't have to use them, and they shouldn't bother you...

Offline scrtadmr2

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2008, 06:30:58 am »
If that is the way how u want users to discover your product then so be it.
It isn't necessarily how i _want_ users to discover ZU, I just think it's the most realistic way...
Maybe i could add an annoying first-time-popup-thingy like the 'did you know?'... hmm... I personally hate that, but what do you think?
>>U are young today. U remind me of when I did a joint project. We were both stubborn and we both believe we were using the right approach. As I get older, I cannot recall the details of solutiion. All I can tell myself today, think she is right for she fought with passion.
See a problem and spend more time thinking and with luck u might come with a solution. I admire the Japanese, simplistic and well thought design - less is more. No, pop-up box is not the solution. The solution is already there. U just want the user to activate your so called Analyze and when they see, it becomes self explanatory. U want user to target or click on that box u called Analyze. I suggest the name of Manager for it is a high level naming. I mention and ask what u think. I guess u did not see for I tried very hard to make u notice.

No, I was not talking about msconfig and was just setting u up to understand you. For readers using vista, do not use msconfig to disable services, safer approach type "services.msc" in the Run box. I use bad approach and knock on wood.
Just for the record, services and auto-starting programs are not (exactly) the same...
>> I never said it was the same. If u recall, I commented about start-up manager and u brought up the topic of msconfig. If u look at my reply, u would realize I talked  about start-up. To make post informative to readers who wants to use msconfig  on Vista, I told users to look at service.msc instead of making a mistake and thus need luck(knock on wood).
If u look at my post, I mention microsoft start-up manager is more professionally written than your start-up. I have use a lot of different startup manager and your interface / display not par to any. Sorry. Sys configuration, startup is provided by MS.
Personally, if u really want to implement then execute those ms library/exe file. No harm using some ms exe program for some commercial software use ms like ms chkdsk. Remember, u said u want users to run from one place and u are honoring that ideology.
>> If u also recall, I disagree having those functions/tools in your application. I suggested  coding on reducing those clicks. Since the confirmations  are not written to a save file settings, it means we have to initialize on every first usage. If u were willing to implement my design, I would have made another attempt for u to understand my suggested design.
Personally, I would not implement those confirmation but to compromise, I suggested one click confirmation
> Have not compare whether ms disk cleanup, which removes temp file, does a better job than your uninstaller temp tool. It just a matter of what type of temps to clean. Personally, have been using various good review one click cleaning utilities and no reason to use unknowns(ms, zsoft tools, and not that paranoid to be happy with firefox cleanup).

I don't have [access to] Vista (and quite frankly don't want to, either  ;)), but I personally think that the msconfig thing (I think that's the only thing build-in to WinXP) isn't the most userfriendly app in the world...
> I have no choice for the system came with that. Would eventually put vista and xp on system.I hate HP pre-installed nasty promo software more

Ahh... First of all I think the keyword in what I said was 'might'. Secondly it was a thought example, and I simply wanted to point out that adding new features wouldn't, per se, effect the 'old program', thus, if you don't want/need the new features, you don't have to use them, and they shouldn't bother you...
>Tx for understandable and descriptive info.

PS: My posting would be coming to an end for I have other matters to attend in the future. If u dont understand today, one day.u will. tx[/quote]
« Last Edit: April 02, 2008, 03:50:07 pm by scrtadmr2 »

Offline D.Whord

• View Profile
Prototyping Zsoft tasklist on beta 2 5
« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2009, 03:08:23 pm »
it was really buggy, but less than closed beta testers imagined   

But like you will probaly see, the closed beta is naturaly calm, and even more for englishs people, frnech arent there....

Offline greyowl

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2009, 03:45:04 am »
I want to make a suggestion on this issue about the word "analyze".  I am wondering if "Monitor Installation" would be clearer.  Then you could have a list of "Monitored Programs".

Offline Admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • ZSoft Software
« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2009, 04:21:45 pm »
Probably true, but because of all the translations it will be quite a pain to rename it :-X