Author Topic: why are they reg keys HKLM/System and HKLM/Software/Classes excluded?  (Read 21171 times)

Stevie

does anyone know why?

i mean, what if there are entries created from a software...
they will remain there because they are excluded?

greets stevie

Offline Admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • ZSoft Software
They are excluded as default, yes, but you can just remove them from the ignore list if you want...

It is true that programs could put stuff in there, and with the items in the ignore list, it would not be recorded.

It is ignored by default because I see it as basically just "a lot of junk", and don't think that any software (at least not all that much software) puts more junk into it... With that in mind I just don't think it would be worth the extra scan- and comparetime...

Stevie

is HKLM/Software/Classes a copy of HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT?

Offline Admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • ZSoft Software
Well, actually I just read that HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT doesn't actually exsist, but just is a merge of HKLM/Software/Classes and HKCU/Software/Classes

Needless to say HKCU/Software/Classes will also be ignored by default in the next release ::)

Stevie

arg no! dont do that :D
if i remember well, many uninstaller ignore those 2 reg "folders".
because they are a duplicate of some keys in another folder.

Stevie

have a look here:
http://www.windowsitlibrary.com/Content/224/1.html

The True Subtrees and Their Aliases
Of the five subtrees, only two — HKLM and HKU — are "real." What I mean by "real" is that they are the only two subtrees backed by files, the only two that exist regardless of whether someone is logged on to the machine. Two of the other subtrees — HKCC and HKCR — are "aliases" or links to individual subkeys within HKLM. When I say links, I mean that the keys and values shown in HKCC and HKCR are really keys and values in HKLM. If you make a change to one, that change is reflected in the other. If you’re familiar with Unix-based file systems, you recognize that HKCC and HKCR are really symbolic links to their true location within HKLM. Placing them within their own subtree makes it easier to navigate directly to the information you need in each area.

The fifth subtree, HKCU, is actually the "Settings" portion of a logged-on NT or Win2K user profile and an alias of a special subkey that is loaded into the HKEY_USERS subtree at user logon — based on the user’s Win2K Security Identifier (SID).

The following list describes the relationship of the five subtrees:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE = HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE
HKEY_USERS = HKEY_USERS
HKEY_CURRENT_CONFIG = HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Hardware Profiles\Current
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT = HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Classes (and HKCU\Software \Classes)
HKEY_CURRENT_USER = HKEY_USERS\<SID VALUE>
As you look at the subtrees, note that three of the five are subkeys of HKLM and HKU that have been "exploded" for easier viewing.

hope that helps

Stevie

therefore you can leave out
HKEY_CURRENT_CONFIG and HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT since they are already scanned via the HKLM Key.
cool huh? :)

Offline Admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • ZSoft Software
Guess the only thing that needs to be scanned is HKEY_LOCAL_MASHINE and HKEY_USERS then.. :)

Stevie

well from what i read yep, not sure tho.
maybe someone can give us a deeper insight!

Offline Admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • ZSoft Software
Well, if you create a new string using regedit in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Hardware Profiles\Current it showes up in HKEY_CURRENT_CONFIG
If you create a string in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Classes or HKEY_USERS\(the id thingy)\Software\Classes OR HKEY_USERS\(the id thingy)_Classes\ it shows up in HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT
If you add a string to the HKEY_USERS\(the id thingy) it shoes up in HKEY_CURRENT_USER\

It seems like a confirm to me :)

(And I have allready made the changes to the code, soo ::))

Stevie

Re: why are they reg keys HKLM/System and HKLM/Software/Classes excluded?
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2006, 12:43:46 pm »
hehe cool!
so ure working on a new version, weeeeee :D

HelenJames

answer this topic
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2010, 09:19:25 am »
Something alike was discussed on the Yahoo! Answers last week, i can share a link if you want some

Suggestion and Reply

Re: why are they reg keys HKLM/System and HKLM/Software/Classes excluded?
« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2011, 08:04:46 pm »
Codecs are a problem that many software uninstallers have been in the classes roots. Haven't known one uninstaller yet to delete the codecs, and sometimes is is very much need for this to happen cleanly.

Ok for some user can do this using gspot and copying the codec key to reg edit and searching manual to delete them. Most times two entried found for each codec to be deleted.

Then nasty ones to be dealt with and how does any one deal with them. Such as avi codec varieties that merge in with windows own avi and other codecs. Had that before with vapi and pinnacle software drivers very nasty and impossible to remove correctly, i'm sure there are others.

While talking of pinnacle how the heck is the ever completly removed, just stays there forever and a clean reinstall seems the better way to do that.

But this is more making the uninstaller aware of codecs installed and removing them. Sometimes they have to go, while sometimes they are liked to be kept. Maybe this could be an option, but really when os is mucked up with uninstalled software that has left codecs behind something is needed to get rid of them.