Author Topic: Please help test the new release  (Read 102225 times)

Offline Admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • ZSoft Software
Please help test the new release
« on: May 03, 2007, 06:23:09 pm »
Hi faithful users (;D)

I hereby invite you to beta-test the upcoming version which you can download from here: http://www.zsoft.dk/downloads/BetaDebug.rar

If you find any bugs I would really like to know, so that it can be fixed before "public release".

The changelog looks like this:
  • It is now possible to get the list shown as icons (Settings -> Show Icons) (It takes a little longer the first time, but the icons are cached so it should be (almost) as fast the second time)
  • Updated Hungarian translation, thanks to DWz
  • Updated Italian translation, thanks to Giacomo Margarito
  • Updated Valencian translation, thanks to Vicente Adam
  • Updated Portuguese translation, thanks to Rui Morais
  • Updated Russian translation, thanks to Alexander Shikin
  • You can now browse for places in the registry to ignore (Ignorer filter)
  • Can now delete files to Recycle Bin (uninstalling an analyzed installation)
  • Various fixes

Thank you!

Offline Admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • ZSoft Software
Re: Please help test the new release
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2007, 07:03:28 pm »
New version uploaded... If you've downloaded it already, please download again.

Offline Majomo

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2007, 12:58:41 am »
These comments aren't about discovered bugs - it's a far more differences about.

• 1- Icons - Sincerely I don't like that. I know some users requested it. I would prefer that the icons should to be in the list before the program'description (replacing the green signal). Or... when the user select a program, on the "Info" windows the icon comes out (with another info like: program'folder, publisher, web site, with links - I know that we can to see this info with Ctrl + I, but it would a useful and alternative and with a good-looking  visualization; without, off course, the edit'feature in this info windows). In spite of it, no problem to me - I can to disable the icon'feature.

• 2- Tab's visualization - We have 3 tabs: Installed Progr. [IP], Analysed Progr. [AP] and Hidden Progr. [HP]. To distinguish oneself I use the features Grid Lines and/or choose Fonts.
    V. 2.3.3 - it was more easy to recognize: [IP] green signal, a diverse font and lines; [AP] no green signal, standard font, without lines.
    V. 2.3.4 - [IP] green signal, diverse font, lines; [AP] no green signal, diverse font, lines.; [HP] green signal, standard font, lines
    V. 2.3.5 - All are identical: the exception is the green signal in [IP].
    Ok, maybe I'm a confusing user...
    But - it's my opinion - the midst tab [AP] should to distinguish itself from others. Sometimes I don't know where I am...
    My sugestion is: a backgroud soft colour to [AP] - similar to the useful "Mark new Links".
    Or... maybe the problem is mine: I have two eyes and I see three tabs... And I don't know where I am...

• 3- Recently I see that I can to save as text file the Recorded Info (Analysed tab). There are a blue icon (right top). Suggestion: a tooltip like "Save as...".

• 4- Before to use this application I didn't know de danish flag. My knowledge increased. Suggestion: to add the others flags - the user will appreciate that and perhaps it's a educational value for the users...

• 5- It seems that the Registry Browser are working well and it's practical. Like three of the five subtrees are subkeys of HKLM and HKU them aren't analized (and don't comes out in the Registry Browser). Am I right?

• 6- I don't tried the analyse feature yet - but I'll try it...

Regards.

Offline Admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • ZSoft Software
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2007, 12:00:01 pm »
1. I don't really like it either, but it was requested quite a few times so I thought I'd better implant it... That is also why you still can choose to see the list the 'old fashion way' :) I may make it another option to see the icons instead of the green check-mark or the red x (as you suggest) though.

2. I'll add some feature so you can decide the background color of the different tabs...

3. Added (haven't updated the file on the server yet though).

4. Update: I've done it even though my drawings are probably not the best... (haven't updated the file on the server yet though).

5. Correct. The HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT, HKEY_CURRENT_USER and HKEY_CURRENT_CONFIG are 'virtual folders'. More information here.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2007, 06:01:45 pm by Admin »

Offline Admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • ZSoft Software
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2007, 04:04:19 pm »
File updated...

Offline JeRrYFaR

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2007, 12:45:03 am »
Registered specifically to say I can't stand the icon view myself.  I agree w/ the post above though, that the icons should take the place of the green checkmarks.

Offline Admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • ZSoft Software
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2007, 04:59:02 pm »
Well I'll see if I can add that as an option before the final release.

Offline JeRrYFaR

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2007, 01:36:46 am »
Other than that I really have no complaints.   8)

I've been using ZSoft Uninstaller since you started it.  It was certainly buggy at first, but nothing bad.  I've always liked the feature of it requesting to delete the folder once you've uninstalled something. 

Offline Admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • ZSoft Software
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2007, 02:31:21 pm »
 :)

Offline Admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • ZSoft Software
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2007, 03:46:16 pm »
Option added and file updated.

Offline pantalone

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2007, 07:20:41 pm »
Hi, I have used version 2.3.4 and now the 2.3.5 beta.  The beta seems to load significantly faster than 2.3.4.  The icons work fine, although I don't see any real need for them.  I'm surprised at how fast the icons load -- I assumed that the Control Panel Add/Remove applet was so slow because it had to load all the icons.  If that's not the reason, why the heck does it take 20+ seconds to load?

One very minor bug report: In the temp file finder, when sorting by the "size" column, the list is sorted alphabetically and not by actual file size.  I don't really use this feature, so it's no big deal.

Feature request: I like the idea of the "hidden" tab.  Could this be extended to multiple tabs for different categories of programs?  New installations could show up on a "newly installed" tab.  Drag & drop between tabs would be nice.  Or a tree view with folders for the categories, instead of tabs would be fine.  Just an idea.

Thanks for your hard work to make this software and offer it for free.  It is definitely a "must have" to replace the slow Control Panel.

-- Brett

Offline Admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • ZSoft Software
« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2007, 08:31:01 pm »
The beta seems to load significantly faster than 2.3.4.
That must be a coincidence - the only thing changed is the addition of the icons...

The icons work fine, although I don't see any real need for them.  I'm surprised at how fast the icons load -- I assumed that the Control Panel Add/Remove applet was so slow because it had to load all the icons.  If that's not the reason, why the heck does it take 20+ seconds to load?
Well, in ZSoft Uninstaller the icons are cached... that definitely speeds up all but the first run... but I have no good reason why the add/remove applet is so slow...

One very minor bug report: In the temp file finder, when sorting by the "size" column, the list is sorted alphabetically and not by actual file size.  I don't really use this feature, so it's no big deal.
Actually it is sorted by filesize... However, I've just received a bug-report (also about the sort feature)... If you sorted while the program was still searching you could run into errors...

On the feature request... even though it's a good idea, I think I'm going to pass on it... at least for the time being... Several reasons: a) It could overwhelm new users (the interface is already pretty cluttered imo). b) I don't know how I would do it ;)
« Last Edit: May 12, 2007, 08:32:40 pm by Admin »

Offline Admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • ZSoft Software
« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2007, 08:33:22 pm »
Oh... and 2.3.5.28 have just been uploaded...

Offline pantalone

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2007, 08:01:45 am »
No, I tried the TMP File Searcher again.  This time I waited until it was finished, then clicked the Size column header.  It definitely does NOT sort by size.  Here is a link to a screenshot of the first part of the "sorted" list:
http://home.earthlink.net/~pantalone/Clipboard03.png

Offline Admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • ZSoft Software
« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2007, 10:34:04 am »
Aaaah.

For some reason I handcoded the decimal separator to be ',' - when it's a '.' it didn't recognize it as a number... 2.3.5.29 uploaded... Hopefully it works now ;)