Author Topic: Windows restarts during installation...  (Read 29040 times)

Offline guysml

• View Profile
Windows restarts during installation...
« on: February 10, 2007, 12:12:05 am »
I am sure you are aware that many programs need Windows to be restarted in order to complete the installation.

In such a case, what is the best way to use uninstaller program?

Is there a way to analyze before install, and again after install AND restart?

Please excuse me if this question has been answered elsewhere in the forums.  I did a brief search but did not find info on this topic.

Thanks for any and all advice,

Guy.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2007, 01:21:50 pm by Admin »

Offline Admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • ZSoft Software
Re: Windows restarts during installation...
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2007, 01:20:54 pm »
I don't think it has been answered in the forum anywhere (better make this a sticky) - I have been asked about it in a couple of emails though so I'll just copy past my answer from one of them (hope you don't mind):

When analyzing something with ZSoft Uninstaller you do it in two parts: Before and after the installation. When you have done the first scan you can click cancel, close the program, reboot your computer etc., and come back to finish the installation by selecting "Finish an analysis that has already been started" from the "Analyze Installation" window.

Guy Smilie

« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2007, 09:57:29 pm »
Ahhhhh. Thanks for the reply.  Good to know that the program can do this.  In the case of such installations (where restart is required), is it usually necessary to do the second part of the analysis after the reboot?  Are changes normally made upon reboot that would not have been recorded if analysis was completed before reboot.

Also this made me think of another issue.  In the case of a program that gets updates, can you make a new "after installation" image to record any changes and discard the old "after install" analysis?

Thanks again for any help,

Guy.

Offline Admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • ZSoft Software
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2007, 11:34:49 pm »
I'm sorry, but I can't answer whether changes are normally made upon reboot or not...

About the update 'issue'... When the "after installation" image is made, the "before" and "after" is compared - the difference is then saved, and the original before and after image is deleted. If you want to record an update you will have to do it as if you installed another application: "Before image" before the update and "After image" after the update (and then saving it as something like 'Program name update x')...

Offline dkcreatto

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2007, 09:52:52 pm »
.....About the update 'issue'... When the "after installation" image is made, the "before" and "after" is compared - the difference is then saved, and the original before and after image is deleted. If you want to record an update you will have to do it as if you installed another application: "Before image" before the update and "After image" after the update (and then saving it as something like 'Program name update x')...

It might be added as a feature request here..

what you think????

Offline Admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • ZSoft Software
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2007, 01:15:10 pm »
I'm not quite sure what you mean..?

Offline old_navy

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2008, 07:12:52 pm »
Hi.
I have the new version 2.4.1 now. I lost two logs after rebooting computer. I have installed CloneCD and ProShow Producer. If I don't reboot computer (as asked) these logs are presented.
Any ideas?
Thanks.
WinXPSP1

Offline Admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • ZSoft Software
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2008, 06:39:51 pm »
After the restart are you sure you selected the "Finish an analysis that has already been started", and not the standard "Analyze an installation"?

Offline old_navy

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2008, 07:53:26 pm »
Yes, "Finish an analysis that has already been started" was selected. and name of installed program was entered.
All of my previously installed program have their logs (with no rebooting computer).

Offline Admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • ZSoft Software
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2008, 04:15:44 pm »
Hmm... That seam very weird... It is the same code thats being run :/

Did the red 'comparing, please wait' start blinking? Did the box pop up saying that it was complete? Do you see it if you goto the zsoft uninstaller folder and then into the "logs" subfolder?

I'm baffled :S

Offline old_navy

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2008, 03:24:49 am »
For first and second questions my answer: yes. For third question: I didn't check if log files were created. About two days later I wanted to uninstall CloneCD and couldn't find CloneCD log and ProShow too.
Thanks.

Offline Admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • ZSoft Software
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2008, 09:55:42 pm »
Damn :o

I simply can't comprehend how this can happen... it's the same code thats being run, no matter if you restart or not, thus, there should be no difference :S

I'm sorry, but I don't think I can help you :/

Zulu

« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2011, 08:24:11 pm »
As long as leaves nothing in temp folder locations for after restart, since softwares i have that clear them out every os power down and restart.

Good to know this as some softwares need user to cancel restarts so to complete the uninstall. But have problems with loaded services if uninstaller hasn't dealt with them. Been that many other uninstaller cannot get rid of services and codecs ect during install. Maybe you way is better and likeing to inctrl5 where can be continued after a restart, upon running the uninstaller again to complete the uninstal process.