Author Topic: Bug, lists already installed files as Added  (Read 10384 times)

Offline Andavari

• View Profile
Bug, lists already installed files as Added
« on: March 26, 2007, 10:35:25 pm »
I am wondering if there is a bug in ZSoft Uninstaller, here's the scenario:
1. I ran a ZSoft Uninstaller analysis, then closed the program thinking a reboot would be necessary for the software installation I was about to do.

2. I then installed Microsoft .NET Framework 3.0 (since an upcoming Paint.NET version will require it), then I rebooted.

3. As soon as Windows restarted I visited Microsoft Update and downloaded two critical updates for components installed by .NET Framework 3.0, and then I rebooted again.

4. As soon as Windows restarted I finished the ZSoft Uninstaller analysis and wondered why it was taking so long. Being curious as to how slow the final analysis took I viewed the ZSoft Uninstaller log for .NET Framework 3.0.

5. Now here's whats interesting:
I noticed the analysis log had files listed as Added which were already installed on my system therefore they shouldn't even show up in the log. Some of the files in question are all of my audio encoding and decoding software located in C:\Audio-Tools, and allot of other directories and files, etc. Since it logged those already installed files as newly added files it would delete them if I were to use ZSoft Uninstaller for uninstalling .NET Framework 3.0.

Can anyone confirm this? Here's how to do it:
1. Run ZSoft Uninstaller.

2. Click 'Analyzed Programs'.

3. Right click some installed programs, and select 'Show Recorded Info'.

I'm wondering if anyone else has files that were already installed are being deemed as newly added, and if they're are showing up in the uninstall logs.

System Specifications:
* ZSoft Uninstaller 2.3.4
* MS Windows XP SP2 (fully updated)
* AVG Antivirus Free Edition 7.5 (fully updated)

Offline Admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • ZSoft Software
Re: Bug, lists already installed files as Added
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2007, 04:02:52 pm »
And it isn't, for instance, files that the programs have saved after the first analyze that are recorded as added? If it is the programfiles etc., that, in fact, with 120% certainty, were their before, it is very, very, very, very strange.

I'll try to do an analysis of .NETv3...

Offline Admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • ZSoft Software
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2007, 05:40:34 pm »
I've just analyzed the .NETv3 installation (before, install, restart, after), and nothing strange happened here...
It took ~30 seconds to compare (thats longer than normal), but looking at the log file that is understandable... It is huge - for instance there are more than 7700 additions to the registry :o

Again, are you 120% certain that these files were there when you did the first analyze?

Offline Andavari

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2007, 09:12:05 pm »
Again, are you 120% certain that these files were there when you did the first analyze?
Yes I'm 120% certain, that C:\Audio-Tools folder I restored on March 24 just after reinstalling WinXP on my system. I installed .NET Framework 3.0 on March 26 - that's what the System Restore info states.

It's unfortunate that I deleted my ZSoft Uninstaller log of .NET Framework 3.0 because it would have shown proof of what I stated.  :'(

I've thoroughly looked through all of my other ZSoft Uninstaller logs since I tracked every installation on this Windows reinstall and not one of the others seem out of the ordinary, the information in them pertains only to the files and registry data added by an installation.

Offline Andavari

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2007, 09:20:05 pm »
And it isn't, for instance, files that the programs have saved after the first analyze that are recorded as added?
No it's not, this is exactly what I did in this order (I didn't open any other programs, etc., because I know they'd taint the analysis of an installation):
1. Did a before install analysis with ZSoft Uninstaller.
2. Installed .NET Framework 3.0 (and subsequently waited forever for it to install).
3. Rebooted.
4. Opened Internet Explorer and went to Microsoft Update and downloaded and installed two updates for .NET Framework 3.0.
5. Rebooted.
6. Did the after install analysis with ZSoft Uninstaller.
7. Looked at the ZSoft Uninstaller log, and noticed right at the beginning of the log were files which were already in existence on my hard disk were logged as newly installed files.

It is indeed very strange!

Offline Admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • ZSoft Software
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2007, 09:45:07 pm »
It's unfortunate that I deleted my ZSoft Uninstaller log of .NET Framework 3.0 because it would have shown proof of what I stated.
Yeah, that really is a shame. Seeing is believing :)

I'd really wish I had a definite answer, but I unfortunately don't. I simply can't comprehend how it could happen.

Nothing like this has every happened to me. Has it happened to anyone else?

Offline HewMaybeamb

• View Profile
Bug lists already installed files as Added
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2010, 10:31:30 pm »
hello

there is a big bug with kaspersky and nod32 antyvirus
progress bar is finishing very fast 1sec when the file has not been uploaded yet
how to fix it ?