Author Topic: Accidental "Branding ***" Uninstallation... Help please!  (Read 10446 times)

Offline M-.SD

• View Profile
Accidental "Branding ***" Uninstallation... Help please!
« on: April 12, 2011, 09:23:35 pm »
Hello everyone,
I'm new to ZSoft Uninstaller and after the first run I did a mistake. There was an entry called "Branding ***" in the installed application so I wrongly assumed that a double-click would analyze the it.... Short story someone can tell me what is what I accidentally uninstalled (Branding ***) and if it is important/should I reinstall it and how?
It seems it has something to do with Office 2007... In the Post Uninstall Scanner it appeared some registry keys/values that linked to:
C:/Resources/Branding.xml
C:/program files/shared files/Microsoft Shared/Office12/office setup controller/office.es-es/BRANDING.XML
Thank you!

PD: I guess this behaviour is intended but I guess it would be safer for new users a warning/prompt for confirmation before uninstalling an application with a tick box that may opt to not display the message again.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2011, 04:31:13 am by M-.SD »

L&B

Re: Accidental "Branding ***" Uninstallation... Help please!
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2011, 09:06:02 pm »
I've done exactly the same mistake this evening trying the software for the first time...
I agree with you about the need of a warning message before to proceed to uninstall the program after simple double clicking!
By the way, have you experienced any trouble so far after the deletion of Branding*** ?

Offline soyabeaner

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2011, 08:13:25 pm »
I've intentionally >:D removed this back on my XP computer.  Not recommended as it comes with a fresh OS install, but I never did notice any apparent side-effects.  I still don't know what it is to this day ;D

Offline Majomo

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2011, 03:54:37 pm »
In «%userprofile%\LocalSettings\Application Data\Microsoft\Internet Explorer» you can find the file "brndlog.txt" OR "brndlog.log" with more info about "Branding" installation.

It isn't Microsoft Office about at all. It's Internet Explorer/Outlook Express about.

With "Brading" uninstall here:
- File added in «C:\Documents and Settings\<User Name>\LocalSettings\Application Data\Microsoft\Internet Explorer»: brndlog.bak
- Registry key deleted:
HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Active Setup\Installed Components\>{60B49E34-C7CC-11D0-8953-00A0C90347FF}MICROS
HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Branding

More info: hXXp://windowsxp.mvps.org/ie/ispunbrand.htm