Author Topic: interface  (Read 17769 times)

Offline majalidic

• View Profile
interface
« on: May 18, 2007, 10:00:12 pm »
Great software!
Here is list of things that I don’t like  >:D. I don’t like startup screen, is it really necessary? It is usually annoying in small and fast applications that are being used very often. Maybe it would be better to use colors from Windows skin color scheme or neutral colors like gray and black instead of blue. Icons don’t have smooth edges and they are not beautiful  :-X. They take huge space compared to icons in other applications (example Firefox), maybe because of bigger text  ???. Welcome text should be replaced with useful information about selected program. It’s all about its interface. I like everything else. Thank you! :)
You could use these great flag icons: http://www.famfamfam.com/lab/icons/flags/.

Offline Admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • ZSoft Software
Re: interface
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2007, 12:42:31 am »
The startup screen is necessary. It gives the user feedback, like 'yes, I'm running' while it loads the data from the registry.

Actually the blue color(s) are "natural windows colors"... Windows XP's blue interface uses the same colors in explorer (e.g. for instance the sidebar in 'this computer').

I'll agree that the icons aren't as good as one could wish - but I'm not much of a graphics artist, so not much I can do... I'm open to user-created material though ;)

The welcome text should be replaced with what now? Please elaborate :)

And the flags... I'm actually quite happy with my "home-brew-flags" in the newest beta, and 'stealing' other's opens up a whole can of worms with license and stuff...

Offline majalidic

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2007, 12:13:18 am »
About startup screen; What about to load program immediately and then to load the data from the registry? Example: MyUninstaller starts immediately and then it fills columns with programs.

About welcome text; it would be more useful to display some info when program is selected (install time, version etc.) rather than "have fun :o)" text.

About flags; "These flag icons are available for free use for any purpose with no requirement for attribution".

Thank you for your time. It is great when software develepors are comunicating with their users!  ;)

Offline Admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • ZSoft Software
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2007, 11:17:04 am »
I think it is very user-unfriendly if the program isn't ready to go when it shows up...

Your probably right about the welcome text... I'll look into that, but can't promise when it's done.

About the flags... I stand corrected ;) (but I'm still going to hang on to the already implanted ones... at least for now)

Offline majalidic

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2007, 05:50:43 pm »
I'll agree that the icons aren't as good as one could wish - but I'm not much of a graphics artist, so not much I can do... I'm open to user-created material though ;)

I created these icons for fun. They are vector so everything can easily be changed. If you want to do anything with them you can. You can tell me what to change. I can send you in any format or resolution. If you don't like them or don't want any of them never mind ;)

« Last Edit: July 11, 2007, 09:16:37 pm by majalidic »

Offline Admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • ZSoft Software
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2007, 07:52:20 pm »
I really like them! Great work! I've tried to add them (try newest beta), but it unfortunately doesn't look quite as good inside the program as outside... it's still better though, imo :D

(Oh, and they're to big... The icons on he toolbar at the top is 32x32, the small ones are (I believe) 16x16)
« Last Edit: May 20, 2007, 07:54:24 pm by Admin »

Offline Majomo

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2007, 08:36:15 pm »
A interesting issue to enhance ZSoft Uninst..

I hope majalidic help to find the better alternative with ZSoft. Perhaps the icons with a background.

Please don't give up. Both are in a good clue. This is the way forward.

Good luck!

:D

Offline majalidic

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2007, 01:19:28 am »
Every icon resource contain 6 files:
16x16 - XP (RGB + alpha), 32 bit
32x32 - XP (RGB + alpha), 32 bit
48x48 - XP (RGB + alpha), 32 bit
16x16 - 256 color, 8 bit
32x32 - 256 color, 8 bit
48x48 - 256 color, 8 bit

Download:
http://dl4.ohshare.com/v/1453176/ico.zip.html
« Last Edit: June 03, 2007, 02:31:09 am by majalidic »

Offline Admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • ZSoft Software
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2007, 03:17:16 pm »
I like it :D

And I've included it in the newest beta (even though I had to remove the 256x256 for it to work (probably what made it Vista ready, but still)

Offline Admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • ZSoft Software
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2007, 03:20:29 pm »
Oh, and while I remember: Where should the 'Destroy all data' go?

Offline majalidic

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2007, 04:42:46 pm »
Oh, and while I remember: Where should the 'Destroy all data' go?
That one was a joke! :D
« Last Edit: June 03, 2007, 01:55:18 am by majalidic »

Offline Admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • ZSoft Software
« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2007, 05:18:54 pm »
Too bad that that was a joke - it looked so cool ;D

Added/replaced the icons (I went with the blue program-icon)

Offline Majomo

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2007, 11:10:14 pm »
I leap for joy with these icons. Great work! 8)

Allow me to say something else about:

There are two icons with loupes: I understand a loupe to Temp Finder to "find", ok; but the Temp Finder is also to "clean". So a clean'icon should be welcomed and unlike two loupes we would have a dissimilar and more heterogeneous menu.

ZSoft Uninstaller default program icon about? It's excellent! (I like the yellow but I know that ZS is blue...).

Congratulations.

:)

Offline majalidic

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2007, 11:28:48 am »
Too bad that that was a joke - it looked so cool ;D
If you need that icon fore something just say.
Added/replaced the icons (I went with the blue program-icon)
You are using 256 color icons, right? They are edgy. Why don't you use 32-bit icons with alpha channels? Windows 98 compatibility reasons? I didn't notice edgy icons in other applications so they are all probably using 32-bit icons.

Offline majalidic

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2007, 11:32:58 am »
There are two icons with loupes: I understand a loupe to Temp Finder to "find", ok; but the Temp Finder is also to "clean". So a clean'icon should be welcomed and unlike two loupes we would have a dissimilar and more heterogeneous menu.

Do you have any idea how Temp Finder icon should look?