Author Topic: uninstalling services & drivers  (Read 3627 times)

Offline afterburner

• View Profile
uninstalling services & drivers
« on: May 21, 2007, 12:33:14 pm »
I am using ZSoft Uninstaller v2_3_5 BETA DEBUG and it is really good..

Usualy, when I am installing some software I first take snapshot using ZSoft Uninstaller, after that I engage InCTRL5 (to track down the changes)(..wich is already in ZSoft`s ignore list).. when installation finishes I`m making "After Installation" snapshot with ZSoft Uninstaller so I am able to see diferences between both install. log files.

My question is: Will there be possible to uninstall drivers & services, even on something like: ON_REBOOT option, while they`re in use or something like: ONE_BUTTON option for giving/applying the registry permissions to ZSoft Uninstaller software to make it possible to remove driver & services registry strings (and files from x:\win\sys32\)..

for example: many security appz e.g.antivirus, anti-whatever, need services and drivers it is always a problem to remove these ones, and not so much people knows and are shure exactly wich ones belongs to what if they go to "Device Manager" with Environment Variables command already set to "devmgr_show_nonpresent_devices=value=1" to manualy remove them.

.. in list of "Non-Plug and Play Drivers" when you click on "Show hidden devices in the View tab of "Device Manager"
.. or even it can be whorse navigating the registry to remove services ...

even I found the information on internet telling that the mentioned ones are not loaded and are grayed in list .. it is not exactly true, ok they are grayed indeed but I can prove they`re taking valuable computer and OS resources..

I think that ZSoft Uninstaller have great advantage of tracking system changes wich will also improve in the future becouse of it`s open minded maker, becouse of that I am appealing on making the possibility to remove those drivers and services from tracked software installation .. as I can see that option could put the ZSoft Uninstaller to the highest level ..
anyway it is just suggestion .. I will continue to use this great software becouse it is already cure for windows registry and file chaos.

Best wishes & regards

afterburner
---
sorry for my bad english, it`s not my primary language

Offline Admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • ZSoft Software
Re: uninstalling services & drivers
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2007, 01:51:27 pm »
I'm not quite sure I understand your question correctly (English isn't my first language either ;))

I *think* that services etc. already gets uninstalled... Services seems to be saved in the registry (here: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services) and should therefor be removed...

If files are in use the can't be removed, but they are added to a 'try to delete again later' list.
If, for instance, the file you are trying to delete is a running service, and the service-registry-key is removed it shouldn't run after a reboot, and the file should no longer be in use - and the file should be 'deleteable'...

Does this answer your question? Else, please try to ask again :)

Offline afterburner

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2007, 04:26:42 pm »
Yes you did understand quite well ... and yes that partialy answers my question ... and thank you for the fast answer :)

I ve tested NOD32 today,installed & uninstalled using list in ZSoft Uninstaller then Uninstall from analyzed Install. list and services are gone some CLSID leftovers where there in the registry but thats ok .. ZSoft Uninstaller pointed me to that and I know they aren`t in use
I found no services ... left in sys.

but

the key and the file was left in my system, even after 2 reboots and after that 2x "Uninstall" from analyzed programs list

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Enum\Root\LEGANCY_NOD32KRN

I did removed the key manualy but it was possible only after I did manualy applyed permissons to that key..

Offline Admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • ZSoft Software
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2007, 05:20:18 pm »
Permissions... interesting. I've got to look into that, though, haven't played with that before...

Offline Majomo

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2007, 11:06:42 pm »
I had similar annoyance when I uninstall AVG Anti-Spyware. 

The Administrator'pemissions didn't are enough; it was needed System'permissions. But I'm afraid to delete it... and it is there yet... ;D

::)