Author Topic: How to undelete?  (Read 3029 times)

Offline monocongo

• View Profile
How to undelete?
« on: August 25, 2007, 07:49:30 pm »
I used ZSoft Uninstaller for the first time and I think I made a big mistake.  Instead of uninstalling the software packages I wanted gone I instead deleted them.  It apears that this did not uninstall the packages but instead removed some registry entries.  Now when I open Add/Remove I can still see the software packages in the list of installed software, but the buttons to change/remove these packages are missing.  My question is can I undo what I've done (since now there appears to be no way to remove these software packages), or am I really hosed?  Perhaps I can reinstall these packages on top of the existing versions and this will restore the deleted registry entries, allowing me to uninstall again?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

--James

Offline Admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • ZSoft Software
Re: How to undelete?
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2007, 08:12:01 pm »
When you choose delete instead of uninstall it removes the item from the registry - and doesn't uninstall the program (and it shouldn't still be in the add/remove applet either :/).
You can probably still uninstall the program by finding the programs addition to the startmenu and selecting uninstall from there (if present), or going to the programs installation-directory and executing the program with a uninstall-like-icon (often) or called something like 'uninst.exe'...

If neither of these work, you can, as you suggest your self, install the program again on top of the old one - that should re-add the information to the registry.

Better add a backup-routine to my to-do list :o)