Author Topic: Is is safe to edit zulog file and delete the "Reg Deleted!" registry items?  (Read 13348 times)

Offline Brown Sugar

• View Profile
Even though I started this thread, I didn't look at the last few replies until today so I wanted to add a comment or two.

Using Notepad, I've edited every zulog file for every program I've uninstalled, and deleted all the "reg deleted" keys.  So far I haven't experienced any problems.   Much of the time they relate to MRU streams, but there are some huge "reg deleted" keys with very long strings that start with "REG DELETED!   HKLM   SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Services\Eventlog\System".    This "Reg Deleted" key was about 40 lines long:

REG DELETED!   HKU   Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\MenuOrder\Start Menu\Programs

That one probably relates to the change in the start menu when the new program was added.  A great number of "Reg Deleted" keys refer to: Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\MountPoints on various drive partitions.   

As I've stated, to date I haven't had a problem editing the zulog files and removed all references to "reg deleted" keys.   However, I would be interested to hear from others who may know of reg deleted keys which should not be removed when editing the zulog file.

Offline soyabeaner

• View Profile
I've done the same with Notepad before, but after Admin advised against it, I wouldn't take the risk.  I've dont a bit of registry cleaning this year and it just created unforeseeable problems (not necessarily serious, but annoying enough to not be fixable) later down the road.  Due to a recent incident of registry-cleaning, I'm now on the path of reformatting (which I haven't done in years). 

If it's just MRU (Most Recently Used) entries, they can be easily and safely removed by something like CCleaner afterwards.

Offline Brown Sugar

• View Profile
You have to be very careful when using registry cleaners from any vendor as they can delete important keys relating to MS Office and other much needed programs.  However, the "reg deleted" keys are usually deleted because another one has taken their place,
and to add back hundreds of lines of registry strings needlessly will just slow the boot process, and result in having to use one of those registry cleaners! 

Offline soyabeaner

• View Profile
Or just backup the entire registry before installing a software using ERUNT.  Sorry for the off-topic O0