Author Topic: ZSoft Uninstaller v2.5 *BETA* (aka 'please help test the new release')  (Read 115345 times)

kuldeep

Offline Admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • ZSoft Software
Build 70 uploaded...

Some things are now done in a new way... please report back with problems =)

Offline Majomo

• View Profile
It seems that "Alternative Uninstall", "Silent Uninstall" and "Modify" doesn't work.  ;D The default uninstall comes out.

BTW why to have the "Alternative Uninstall" item?

Offline Admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • ZSoft Software
They work... (as well as possible, any way)

The alternative uninstall is a fix for the Java uninstall problem...

Basically, how the uninstall data works is like this:
In a special part of the registry each uninstall item has a key, in which there, among other things, are values called
 - 'DisplayName' - that's the name of the program that is displayed in the software
 - 'UninstallString' - that's the command that ZSoft Uninstaller runs to uninstall an application
 - 'QuiteUninstallString' - that's a command that can be run to uninstall the application in silent mode... Only some installers support this, but if the value is there (and is different from the 'UninstallString') the 'Silent Uninstall' will be presented in ZU...
 - 'ModifyPath' - as the 'QuiteUninstallString' this isn't always available, but if it is, and is different from the 'UninstallString' it will also show up in ZU.

The Java uninstall-problem was (is), that its uninstall-string is defined as something like 'MsiExec.exe /I{bla}', in which it only allows modify and reinstall (as far as I recall). ZU now 'handles' this by allowing you to select 'Alternative Uninstall' for applications which uninstall-string is 'MsiExec.exe /I{bla}' -- this will instead run 'MsiExec.exe /X{bla}' --- and the application should now be able to uninstall... I haven't made this the default behavior, because I'm not quite sure it is always interpreted the same way... Maybe I'll do a little research and eventually make it the default-behavior, but for now, that's the way it is...

Oh, and as I mentioned, the new options should only come up when they are available... So if an application doesn't have a 'Silent Uninstall' option, you won't (shouldn't at least... Please report back if you can select these options for everything!) see that option...

Oh, and on another node, this build should now be able to run windows installer uninstallers in safe mode (it does this with a registry hack... should be safe though).
« Last Edit: March 30, 2009, 10:38:46 pm by Admin »

Offline Majomo

• View Profile
Are you sure?    ???  ;)

Because to me they don't work definitively... I tried with several app. that have such items and comes out the default uninstaller ('UninstallString') ever. If I use 'QuiteUninstallString', 'ModifyPath' and 'MsiExec.exe /X{bla}' in Start > Run all is ok. When I use ZU ("Alternative Uninstall", "Silent Uninstall" and "Modify") it thinks that it's 'UninstallString' ever...

1. "Please report back if you can select these options for everything!" - no problems here.

2. "Maybe I'll do a little research and eventually make it the default-behavior, but for now, that's the way it is..." - in spite of your reseach and conclusions IMO it seems that it should be the default-behavior. In fact the parameter /X forces to uninstall in Windows Installer ever.

3. Thus "Silent Uninstall" and "Modify/Repair" items is enough (IMO of course...). Unlike "Silent Uninstall" - that will be presented in ZU if the value is there (and is different from the 'UninstallString') - "Modify/Repair" should be presented ever (even if the same that 'UninstallString') like Add/remove does. 'Uninstall' needs to force uninstall with /X in uninstallers Windows Installer'based.

4. BTW, if the user has the app. in 'Hidden Programs' tab these context menu options don't comes out.

Offline Admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • ZSoft Software
Your right :-X

I forgot to change a variable... Build 71 uploaded, and NOW it should work :)

1) Good =)

2) Well, as I said, I haven't yet done any research

3) Probably correct... I'll still have to do that research though...

4) Yeah, I know... haven't gotten around to it yet :)

Offline Majomo

• View Profile
All options working like a charm now...  :)

Offline Majomo

• View Profile
For some reason I have a strange issue with the latest version 2.5.0.71 Beta:

The before analyze doesn't work; in fact I have two registry keys (only!) in HKU_1.txt (HKU   \) and HKLM_1.txt (HKLM   \). There aren't more keys analyzed!  ::)

Help please...   :'(  :'(  :'(

Offline Admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • ZSoft Software
Uupps ::)

Fixed in new build!

Offline Majomo

• View Profile
Thanks.

:D

Offline Thor

• View Profile
I quess I could just change the file name but during download I wanted to insert ZSoft and the word Uninstaller so I could recognize it from the cryptic file name provided. I don't figure I'll use it daily--could be wrong.  Thor

Offline supulton

• View Profile
This is just a small feature suggestion, I dunno how hard it would be to implement.

You know that box that says "Please enter program name"? Maybe you could have the scanner run a scan for present program names, and then afterward it can scan for new names and suggest it in the box. If the program installed more than one, just make a dropdown box.

The beta's great and I don't really expect this feature, though; just my suggestion  O0

Offline Majomo

• View Profile
Info tab icon:

The icons in info tab aren't the same that in listed app..

I think it should be the same icon...

Offline Admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • ZSoft Software
Hmmm.... What program(s) are they not the same for?
As far as I remember, I programmed them to show the same picture (and it does for me) :-X

Offline Majomo

• View Profile
Hmmm.... What program(s) are they not the same for?

E.g. ZSoft Uninstaller...   ;D

It seems it catch the UninstallString icon only. Unlike what ZU does in listed programs.