Author Topic: Thousands of strange "REG ADDED!" Registry Items!  (Read 5293 times)

Offline McSam

• View Profile
Thousands of strange "REG ADDED!" Registry Items!
« on: November 26, 2007, 05:24:14 am »
I analyzed a pre-installation, then uninstalled the program the same day (Nokia PC Suite) without installing anything else, and it looks like ZU went crazy, screwing up my registry.  Now all sorts of programs that have been messed up are trying to re-install or repair themselves. 
When I examined the ZUlog as a Word document, it turns out to be over 680 pages long.  Is this normal?  It's true that Nokia PC Suite is a very large program, but the endless list of unrelated "REG ADDED!" (which are now deleted!) items is very scary.
What went wrong?
Thanks.

Offline Admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • ZSoft Software
Re: Thousands of strange "REG ADDED!" Registry Items!
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2007, 04:56:42 pm »
Please try do send me the (zipped/rared) log file though email (webmaster [at] zsoft [d0t] dk)...

Anyway, ZU logs everything that goes on on your computer, so even if the installer has hasn't created all of it, maybe something else has... But, as said, please mail me the log file and I'll try to examine it... Maybe it would also be a good idea if I made some 'undo uninstall' function... for the registry it should be (somewhat) possible...

Offline McSam

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2007, 07:42:04 pm »
...ZU logs everything that goes on on your computer, so even if the installer has hasn't created all of it, maybe something else has...

In this case there was less than an hour between install & uninstall, and only websurfing activity.

... Maybe it would also be a good idea if I made some 'undo uninstall' function... for the registry it should be (somewhat) possible...

Being my first experience, I subconsciously assumed that such a function existed. Meanwhile maybe ZU could offer to export the existing registry as a back-up b4 doing the uninstall.
Thanks for the offer to look at the logfile.

Offline Admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • ZSoft Software
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2007, 08:19:55 pm »
Examining the (granted, very long (~19.000 lines)) log file I pretty much find two things: The Nokia PC Suite, and something from Roxio (I'd say over half of the log-file is concerning something Roxio)...
But that's only in the registry...

Probably you did something like this: Installed Roxio, didn't run it, start the analyze in ZU, installed Nokia PC Suite, ran Roxio, ended the analyze in ZU... (maybe installed roxio, started the analyze in zu, installed nokia, restarted, ended the analyze (so that some 'run after restart'-thing added by roxio added a crapload of stuff to the registry))...

You have, by uninstalling with the log-file, pretty much uninstalled Nokia PC Suite, and uninstalled half of Roxio...

In this case there was less than an hour between install & uninstall, and only websurfing activity.
You start the analyze, install, run, end the analyze... everything in between the two analyze-runs is registered. Doing ANYTHING else in between is a very bad idea!

Offline McSam

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2007, 09:18:51 pm »
Probably you did something like this: Installed Roxio, didn't run it, start the analyze in ZU, installed Nokia PC Suite, ran Roxio, ended the analyze in ZU...

No. I installed Roxio EMC9 Suite (like Nokia PC-Suite, a very large program) over a month ago and have used many of its components extensively, and did NOT do anything between the Analyze and the unfortunate Uninstall other than
1-Try to run PC-Suite unsuccessfully.
2-Surf the web to realize that I needed an earlier version of PC-Suite.
3-Uninstalled PC-Suite ++++ !!

My theory is that somehow the registry items of PC-Suite that deal with downloading JPG images to Nokia phones got tangled up (in ZU? elsewhere?) with the main program that is associated with the JPG extension in my system, i.e. Roxio.
At least I know now to back up my registry and do a System Restore before running ZU!

« Last Edit: November 27, 2007, 09:28:17 pm by McSam »

Offline McSam

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2007, 09:31:26 pm »
     .....      ......

You start the analyze, install, run, end the analyze... everything in between the two analyze-runs is registered. Doing ANYTHING else in between is a very bad idea!

Hmmmm.  I just re-read that.  Is it possible that I did not "end the analyze"?  Is that something that ZU would have prompted me to do?   Is it possible to uninstall an analyzed program (which, I did, selecting it from the only one on the ZU list) without "ending the analyze"?  Can you perhaps tell that from the logfile?

Thanks.

Offline Admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • ZSoft Software
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2007, 05:31:35 pm »
If you haven't done the end analyzis you can't uninstall it...

About the log-file though, I will say that the data in it is so consistent (roxio and nokia) that I'd say that the stuff has definitely been added to the registry... That being said, I've added the "undo-uninstall-(registry)" feature to my todo-list...