Author Topic: File comparison by version number, size or date?  (Read 4156 times)

Offline Brown Sugar

• View Profile
File comparison by version number, size or date?
« on: December 29, 2007, 04:52:17 am »
Several months ago, I suggested that a good feature would be if Uninstaller could report on files that were changed, using size version number and date of the file.   I think the administrator agreed at the time and thought it was possible. 

I think this would be of great benefit as some programs might install their own Windows OS dll or exe file, replacing a newer or older version currently on the system.  Upon installation, Windows is supposed to alert the user when a program wants to replace a system file with a different version, but I get the feeling some may slip through, or one could choose yes when they meant to choose no.   Regardless, it would be interesting to know and see

a) which  file was changed, and 
b) a comparison of the two versions.

In addition, Uninstaller could be used periodically to just compare the OS directories.  Using a separate file comparison utility, one could copy and save the files_1.txt file in the Uninstaller\logs directory after a before analysis, edit the txt file anddelete everything but the OS files, and compare it as often as they wish by performing subsequent "before" analysis'.  The same could be done for just the program files (or one could also include both the program files and OS files in the edited files_1.txt file).

If this feature were included, an option would probably be needed to deselect the comparison as it would result in a slower before and after analysis for those who don't want it.

Offline Admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • ZSoft Software
Re: File comparison by version number, size or date?
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2007, 11:10:41 am »
Several months ago, I suggested that a good feature would be if Uninstaller could report on files that were changed, using size version number and date of the file.   I think the administrator agreed at the time and thought it was possible.

Yeah, and it's still on my todo-list :) (I'm just currently busy with other things)