Author Topic: Streamline the analysis process? Also - is it dangerous?  (Read 6841 times)

Paraselene

Streamline the analysis process? Also - is it dangerous?
« on: January 15, 2008, 10:53:39 pm »
Hey,

Just discovered your product, it looks like a great find. While I'm normally averse to anything running as a background process that needn't be, it might be a good feature to have a process that monitors and detects what are (likely) installation processes. At the moment, I have to: remember to fire up Zsoft uninstaller, click analyse, tell it to monitor a new installation, click and wait for the "before installation" process to finish, run the installer, run the program once, close it, and then click "after installation", and wait some more... right?

A very lightweight memory process (say, less than 10k. preferably far less though) which could detect likely installations and prompt the user whether they want to monitor the installation would save a lot of hassle- the most important bit of which is to remember to fire the program up in the first place! Ofc, it should be optional rather than compulsory.

The second part of my question: supposing during the installation I have other programs running which are modifying files: for example, IRC programs writing to chat logs and the like, torrents downloading, text files being written to... whatever. If these changes are occurring on the drives that Zsoft monitors, will they not be included as part of the installation process? and if so, isn't there a chance that when I come to uninstall this program I've installed, those changed components might be deleted too? All this is assuming that I follow the rules and run the program, immediately close it and then run "after installation" straight afterwards.

Thanks,

Paraselene.

Offline Admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • ZSoft Software
Re: Streamline the analysis process? Also - is it dangerous?
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2008, 02:39:43 pm »
Just discovered your product, it looks like a great find.
:D

While I'm normally averse to anything running as a background process that needn't be, it might be a good feature to have a process that monitors and detects what are (likely) installation processes. At the moment, I have to: remember to fire up Zsoft uninstaller, click analyse, tell it to monitor a new installation, click and wait for the "before installation" process to finish, run the installer, run the program once, close it, and then click "after installation", and wait some more... right?
Correct.

A very lightweight memory process (say, less than 10k. preferably far less though) which could detect likely installations and prompt the user whether they want to monitor the installation would save a lot of hassle- the most important bit of which is to remember to fire the program up in the first place! Ofc, it should be optional rather than compulsory.
This has been requested before (here)... As previously stated, I am - as you - generally against this sort of thing... I personally think that the right-click-action (requested here) is a better choice.
That being said, it seems like a lot of people would like this feature... I will have to, though, say as I said once before: I'll take a look, but I'll still not promise anything :P

The second part of my question: supposing during the installation I have other programs running which are modifying files: for example, IRC programs writing to chat logs and the like, torrents downloading, text files being written to... whatever. If these changes are occurring on the drives that Zsoft monitors, will they not be included as part of the installation process? and if so, isn't there a chance that when I come to uninstall this program I've installed, those changed components might be deleted too? All this is assuming that I follow the rules and run the program, immediately close it and then run "after installation" straight afterwards.
Yes.
If you save something onto the drive you scan in between the two 'snapshots', it is recorded, and it will therefor be deleted upon uninstallation.
However, say you are writing in Word, and has already saved it once, the file will not be deleted if you doing the installation saves your changes to the same file... Only new files are recorded.
Also ZU has an 'ignore list'. If you - like me - save all your word files etc. in a specific directory, you can add this directory to the ignore list, after which it will be ignore (i.e. even though you save stuff in this folder in between the two snapshots it won't be recorded).
That being said it is not recommended that you do anything else when analyzing.