Author Topic: How do I get clean uninstall since I lost those zulog. Zsoft internals.  (Read 15626 times)

Offline scrtadmr2

• View Profile
Hi,
Use this product on vista and allow zsoft to make clean snapshot prior and after install (dont have several things run, open, close, etc and allow zsoft to do its job=clean snapshot prior and after install of monitor application). I used zsoft on over 20 installation and uninstall and it works great and fast on maintain system(tune defrag hd, reg, and little obsolete data). Please note that when u do any install, vista does a restoration point and thus u believing zsoft slow and I have over 200,000 files on 200g hd notebook. This product works period.

Remember those 20 install I have as zulog files, I lost them all. Cannot recall what I did for I was evaluating various vista tweakers, using zsoft stuff that I never used before. Would be more attentive in future to not let this happen by copying  zulog of each install to my flash or backup hd.  How do I get clean uninstall of those 20 application since I lost those  zulog files?

Even if zsoft monitor this install of prior install (of course pror install is control panel uninstall then this 'new' install)  would not remove footprints of those applications. Only solution is obtain zulog from virgin install in similar notebook. Problem is I have only one notebook. Hate to use that other recommended software for I am still evaluating this product for I like snapshot monitoring , and now know how to make backup of zulog (export zulog install).. Oh, factory reinstall of notebook is out of question for I just did and it is very time consuming.,
 (installs, tweak  vista , firefox about:config. manually, defrags, remove demo/trial crap). Quick fix? Is there backup of compared analyze installed?

Just wondering on the internals of zsoft. If I save individual zulog files of application would that be enough for a zsoft unistall? What role files_1, hklm_1, hku_1 which are text files do in zsoft? TX.

Moral is make backup of your zulog if this is only thing needed for zsoft  and one product enhancement is option to save zulog on backup.(export zulog). Tx

« Last Edit: March 14, 2008, 04:27:32 pm by scrtadmr2 »

Offline Admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • ZSoft Software
How do I get clean uninstall of those 20 application since I lost those zulog files?
I'm afraid you don't... basically...
I suppose you could make a fresh install of vista on a virtual pc (vmware etc.), and then monitor the installation there... A bit overkill, if you ask me, but that's up to you :)
Oh, if you choose to do this, you will probably have to edit the result changing the 'HKU   X-x-x-xx-bla-bla-bla-bla' into the value for your current user on you 'real' pc...

Just wondering on the internals of zsoft. If I save individual zulog files of application would that be enough for a zsoft unistall? What role files_1, hklm_1, hku_1 which are text files do in zsoft? TX.
The *.zulog is the end result of your monitoring... All changes is saved in this file, thus (love that word, don't know why ::)), this is the file to backup...

The files_1, hklm_1, hku_1 files are temporary files, and holds the list of files, items in the HKLM part of the registry, and items in the HKU part of the registry, respectively. These files are created when you finish you 'before installation' snapshot. After the second snapshot another set of files are created (called files_2 etc.).

Moral is make backup of your zulog and one product enhancement is option to save zulog on backup.(export zulog). Tx

Duly noted. I'll create an automatic backup thing immediately :)
« Last Edit: March 14, 2008, 04:52:48 pm by Admin »

Offline scrtadmr2

• View Profile
Hi admin,
Tx for your prompt reply and love underdog products especially when they are lean and mean. Also, imply easier programming maintenance, well thought algorithm, etc usually. I wrote with wishful miracle and I support this product by stating it works, how to use, and provide info that we might all need. Zsoft internals.

Yes, I agree it would be overkill and that virtual machine might not have some license notebook components. Thus, no guarantee. I evaluated 5 reg cleaners and would put them to the test again eventually. Also, that other recommended program will be put to the test. Eventually, would do factory reinstall in far future. Repetition would make me remember my tweaks and reread articles. Blessing in disguise.

Cannot wait for your update. By allowing us to export/backup zulog on case by case basis, I keep only current applications. Thus keeping my analyzed compare files tidy. In the past I had over a screen of zsoft analyzed installs and I keep the log even though only half that screen is current running applications-. The other half of non-current applications kept on backup hd for on-demand install without need for recreating zsoft compare analyze if I  have that zulog backup. By allowing users to make backup, if they accidentally agree (clicking yes to delete install log after uninstall) would be godsend.

Small mote point, I know u have user click 3 or 4 check-box to remind them that u are not liable with all those prompts.  Can we have only one check-box when we are expert users? I am not that click happy especially when left mouse click is over-use as is. U can still inform with one click button by using bolder typeface, boxing, spacing layout, coloring, time delay execution warning like some window admin application (not recommended for I hate 3 sec countdown and that style of interface can be avoided).  Anything to avoid all those check boxes. If I have to argue, then 4 check-box not enough and it should be  100 check-box.  I think u get the point that we are no longer in the dos age- read  carefully before clicking on one box rather than 100 boxes stating the same idea.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2008, 02:47:12 am by scrtadmr2 »

Offline Admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • ZSoft Software
I've already make the new build avalable (here: http://forum.zsoft.dk/index.php/topic,166.0.html), but it works a little different than you think/hope ;)
It just automatically copies every analyze-log into a separate folder (called 'LogBackups')... you will the (at least as it is now) have to manually move it back into the 'log' folder in case you delete it from there and want it back... (Hope you understand).

The checkboxes thing... I have actually considered just saving the state of the boxes -- if you have checked them once you won't have to do it again... but nothing implanted yet...

Offline scrtadmr2

• View Profile
Lol, I understand especially when I needed my backup bookmark in firefox or recover secret email while working on it (Forgot the tweak and would set again as time permit for I need to remember how as  I did long time ago). Actually, after my last posting I thought and concur your/same idea easiest (coding and using) for all users. Backup auto as u suggest is fine.

In free software, software makers  not paid for  product and why should they be held responsible on a user error. In install agreement (ie to continue install), there is a denial of liability clause to protect you. May I suggest and I would be surprise if "... do this on my own responsibility :" and "not hold programmerfor...". are not in that install agreement of zsoft. Since u want to remind users the denial of liability, temporarily use that large empty white area box above uninstall to make your declaration of liability. By making a declaration, u save the usage of two variables. Using Bold and larger font in that white area box would make your declaration of liability stand out. If u need more clarification, let me know.  Declare your product as beta level 3 or 4 and that means there could be bugs but kinda stable. Caveat Empteor but we did not pay for your product.

Please do for it just simple matter of saving  variable and it would make your product more user firendly.  If u are lazy, u can use bit masking in one of your setting variable. Please give my left mouse clicking a break.  ;)

Would try your beta now. Where is the download link for the beta? Completed changes for your beta in the forum is correct/upto date?
« Last Edit: March 16, 2008, 05:39:34 am by scrtadmr2 »

Offline Admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • ZSoft Software
From the license at installation:
This software is provided 'as-is', without any express or implied warranty. In no event will the authors be held liable for any damages arising from the use of this software.
:)

The link for the beta is (as posted in the forum-post I linked to before ;)) http://www.zsoft.dk/downloads/Beta.rar

The changes talked about in the forum-posts are up to date and correct, though, small fixes are not discussed...

Offline scrtadmr2

• View Profile
Suggestion
Software provided  without  express or implied warranty. Zsoft inc, authors , and affiliates not  liable for any action arising from the use of this software.

Perfect. U have in the installation. Since u are being courteous and u want to mention to actual end-user, u can use that quote box temporarily displayed  before an end-user click UNINSTALL. Technical writing requires direct command.  I assume zsoft inc is a company, affiliates is catch all like internet provider. "And, the, this" can be remove to fit in your box. Short and sweet is my recommendation. Action or damage is a judgment  choice for I use action to avoid good or bad legal debate-generalizing. It been awhile since I see disclaimer on per-use basis to end-user and good idea to use as declaration.  The fact u have it with colored background makes it stand out. Of course u already know u can use bold but how many ways do I have to make a person notice. Recommend Bold, larger font in existing white background box.

Remember, when user click the check-box on the statement ".. files deleted cannot be undeleted,".  Our  declaration ".. as is ... software". is then displayed in the big box above uninstall.  This action reaction setup makes the end-user notice the liability and they can use the CANCEL or UNINSTALL to continue. Let me know on how u feel and we can work something to satisfy all.

Download your beta and link was mention in your forum. Sorry for not noticing for I was staring at plan changes, changes done by overstrike, and trying to understand new/tool feature.  Since my eyesight not that good, I glance at screen to avoid glare and I behave like most people who reads top and bottom and link was buried in middle. I like bold /larger font for people to notice. No excuse for the link was color coded in my firefox and I guess I am color blind, lol. I looked in software menu and u can put link there if u want for it has a list of products by u to download. Recommendation on link, place on bottom of that posting with Download Zsoft 2.5 .beta 1.0 with larger or bold font for color blind idiots like me who read top and bottom of that posting. Numbering beta allows testers to know u just made changes to beta 1.x. This way testers know when to download without  bothering u and to avoid downloading a duplicate.

Ver 2.X.Z alpha/beta #. X increment usually mean a big change. Z increment means small changes like cosmetic, etc. Alpha means buggy and I do not normally dwnld. Beta depends on the site, author. # increment indicate level in beta. Usually, beta 3 or 4 implies pretty close to final release. Understandably, I do not expect u to mention low level changes (cosmetic) and I would not point out in the 2.5 beta that I downloaded with Danish/English mix. Program in your language, get main logic working, and leave cosmetic change to assistant since u mention long time ago that time is limited. I install your beta version. Oh, I already backup 2.4 zulog long time ago .and tx for info on zsoft internals.

I believe in  interface where even a monkey can use intuitively. I avoid reading manuals but I glance to get an idea. Looking at 2.4, I can offer some suggestion. If product is freeware, u can implement changes today. If meant to be sold as pro version, then implement later.
I am happy to use an uninstall product where I do not need to read the user manual.. Currently,  installed another and hated to read manual and to make matters worse,  I cannot dwnld. to read offline.  Just to let u know, I tried your product intuitively. I like simple product that does the job (lean-size, mean-no thinking, works). Since product is application uninstaller, concentrate on that part of the design. I like snapshot  prior and after install algorithm.

When  zsoft unistall with log, I delete without confirmation. Another product claims to uninstall without using a log is stated by a reviewer that manual delete does a better jjob. That product has a very high download and  high .recommendation like yours. It's bulkier, more bell and whistle, and need digest how to use.  Read the documentation, uninstall without log at highest cleaning level and IDM desktop icon, quick launch icon, and auto-start-up not remove. With no idea of algorithm, I surprise reviewers support favorable considering 3 garbage left behind. I think that application uninstall might have done better job. Lazy to check registry but feeling garbage there.

Since Europe is expensive, may I suggest u put a donor button on your site. If collecting mail donation, encourage no cash to avoid postman sticky fingers and thus insure u receive snail-mail. Sometime people go for convenience and they have paypal.  I do not have.
When I look at e-commerce, it mentioned people can pay with sign fax echeque, or deposit to your bank (careful, make sure  that display account can only transfer to another specific account and only u can withdraw from that other account and in person). If u are rich, u can send to a personal cause and thus do additional good.

What languages do u program in?

If u want to move this link to design, etc.  U post/reply with move link. Tx

PS: Do we agree to reduce left clicking by using above declaration. This design is less coding for u. Also, more professional to have less check boxes.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2008, 06:18:47 am by scrtadmr2 »

Offline Admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • ZSoft Software
So long a post :-\

I assume zsoft inc is a company
No... it's just a hobby-project of mine :)

2.5 beta that I downloaded with Danish/English mix.
2.5 should be in "full-english"... did you extract the entire archive? The languages are in the 'lang'-directory :)

If meant to be sold as pro version
It's not... ZU is freeware, and will most likely continue to be so, unless of course someone buys the source-code and rights for a million dollars (:D) and decides it should be pay-ware ;)

[...]uninstall without log at highest cleaning level and IDM desktop icon, quick launch icon, and auto-start-up not remove. With no idea of algorithm, I surprise reviewers support favorable considering 3 garbage left behind. I think that application uninstall might have done better job. Lazy to check registry but feeling garbage there.
A non-analyzed application will (at least almost) never uninstall as good as a analyzed application... That being said, beta 2.5 includes a feature much like the one failed above... hopefully it will do better =)

Since Europe is expensive, may I suggest u put a donor button on your site.
I already have a donor-button on my site =) Only Paypal, though.

What languages do u program in?
I'm using Borland Delphi 6 (Personal Edition) (so language is technically Pascal)

PS: Do we agree to reduce left clicking by using above declaration. This design is less coding for u. Also, more professional to have less check boxes.
Yes and no (:P). Either I didn't quite get what you meant, or I just feel saving the state of the checkboxes would be easier :)
Either way, though, left-clicking is reduced ;)
Update: Done in newest beta.

Now, I probably missed something in your freakingly long post, so please feel free to ask follow-ups ;)
« Last Edit: March 16, 2008, 02:15:45 pm by Admin »

Offline scrtadmr2

• View Profile
So long a post :-\ I mention to create a new thread. Zsoft to do scrutiny, Design scrutiny on beta tasklist. U would be surprise on devil advocate in wording on screen display. Look at what I am doing (program update location and wording, clicks,etc)

Software provided  without  express or implied warranty. Zsoft authors and affiliates not  liable for any action arising from use of this software. (This statement temporarily displayed in box above Cancel and Uninstall in Analyze Installation pop-up )
Of course, assume mention in help.

When user mentionl bug, let additonal people report so u will get a better pic of what is the cause of the problem. In testing, replication of bug is important. And that is more important than the bug for now u are able to target and repair bug properly. In my case, downloaded rar file. System new, install my 7zip and need refresher on how to use for it use to be auto. Now, your zsoft 2.5 is decrypted into /beta folder. Inside ../beta folder, I click uninstall (zsoft application file ) and everything is good (zsoft runs with English). So, how did I see installerede programmer hjaelp sag: ryd
info
velkommen til zsoft
Also, language drop down box is kinda blank. How???

Recreation of problem.
In  .C;\user\abx\desktop/beta folder the content (lang, logs, uninstaller help, uninstaller helprus, uninstaller).
As u can see, the /beta folder is sitting on my desktop. To run 2.5 beta, I have to click the folder beta on my desktop and then I click uninstaller (application, 804 kb) and bug free run of zsoft beta.Good.  Please note I have click folder and then click the zsoft uninstaller application.
Since I am testing, I drag the unistaller (application, 804kb) on to my desktop screen to save one click and thus making a one clicker running of zsoft. 8) . Ta da, I get the following message in a box with mouse click response on ok.

(message in english) An error has occured with the language u have chosen (English), you should chose another language.
Also, I get  ...sag, rvd (Is it russian?)

Leave it to me and I always find a bug. Sorry for not being a normal user. Defensive programing requires us to check denominator is not zero before doing divide. Same principle.Initialization.  If u have trouble recreating or understanding, let me know.

Summary (I think) Uninstaller looking for a module but not  in that folder/dir so it runs with Nina Hagen. 99 red balloons.

Zsoft custodian of prior coding. I see free old version software then updated version maintain by others are for sale. Just wondering. U have a chance if u keep your product true as an application uninstaller and not hybrid with cleaner. I have tons of cleaners but one good uninstaller. Now, I prefer the 2.4 for it is not bloated with things I do not want (lean, mean, bug free while 2.5 could be bloated with unnecessary whistles). So many applications offer me a shredder to delete a file when I right click. Guess which one I use? None for I do not want that whistle. If I delete, I delete my hd beyond military standard.
Let prioritize necessary. And if I sleep on this, I can offer u suggestion.

I do not understand the new too/feature specs. It"s foreign. If I understand, then I can give my 2 cents worth prior to u programming -  for it is easier to create tasklist: debate on merit - stick with the plan of important things relating to application uninstall. Think twice and if u really believe it is very needed then implement rather than bloating.
New tool/feature: A merge of the 'scan-registry-feature' in a previous beta (note that this was removed in the final release of v2.4), the 'is-this-the-folder'-feature from when uninstalling and the folder wasn't removed and a new one that scans the start-menu and desktop for leftovers - all as a 'after-uninstaller-scan' (it should also be possible to launch it without a 'real uninstall' so you can use it to uninstall programs that doesn't have an uninstaller, or where the uninstall function doesn't work

I know but had no choice since I lost those 20 zulogs. My 5 cleaners shows there were footprints. When ready, I know to search for idman, idm, and who knows what else. I image my laptop hd to my hd bckup using 20meg. For those reading, I suggest u bckup properly. Vista restore points in queue and lose the needed backup we want using restore points. Alloc disk space for under 15 restore points. Use Manual mode in ms and lose those prior auto points. Oh, use non-vista product to export /image the system completely to external medium will save u a lot of headache. I learn about the short queue the hard way for each install uses a restore point. Clutter will build up in OS over the years and good luck relying on cleaners.

U mention zsoft 2.5 has that feature. Some direction on where to find to use. Tx. Only see your ctrl c, temp and empty finder, and startup manager. Saw the log and backup.  :)
Update: In Install Programs, I see all prog in my computer. Higlighted DAP and click the unistall(icon on top left). What additional algorithm to differentiate from control panel or vendor uninstall?  Saw zsoft use normal uninstall and would be nice to know what checking or discovery for additional clean-up.Tested on beta2.5. Did install and uninstall of DAP on beta. Will beta test zulog on DAP. DAP is download accelerator plus and u pay on increase ip bandwidth cost to dwnld advertising on free version. Will go back to FDM. Download helper is on fox. Curious on 13 mil users and see if IDM had changed. For eg, opera better than fox and told by friend and he is correct but I eval  4 years ago. Fox about:config tweak to opera speed and so my fox is even better than opera with add-ons.
Testing Tools,  Temp File Finder and bug report generated. Bug report is verrry long. Will keep eye by trying to recreate problem. Where can I email this generated bug report? I try sending email mention below and if I receive reply, then I know I have correct email address.

If I lose my 20 logs today or have any problem, I can reload my entire hd image.  8) No ms restore point crap where I cannot get the one I want and it is exported (virus, malware, rootkit, spyware free, love UAC sarcasm).

In Functions. Search for program-updates should be .,..for zsoft-updates. Will argue. Also, it should be place under Help for it is the norm. Look at most software and where do we usually see update, about for version. Do u agree it be there?

I am surprised it is written in Pascal. Just finish understanding PHP, mysql. Saw u the continuation of zsoft product development in help. Look at Pascal a long time ago and it is easy for me to pick up any language. Only language I stay away from asmg for too much strain on my nuggets even thought had asmg 360/370 course. Today work with my hands in Montreal. Little french.

Tx, Since it done, I am happy. If I knew u had done, I would not give u an alternative design and made this post so long. It just placing above statement in the temporarily unused box.(box where u later display registry data , u should know the box. The big box above cancel and Uninstall. This is the better way to go but since u coded, let leave as is.  :)

I have some simple cosmetic changes but do not know if u are too tired, deadline to release, etc. When will u be ready for the task.

Oh, I sent u an email with webmaster address that I saw in your email icon. I avoid the messenger and sent thru yahoo/browser. Hope it went to correct inbox.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2008, 01:57:31 pm by scrtadmr2 »

Offline Admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • ZSoft Software
The danish/english combo is solved then ;)
That's your own fault :P :P :P

ZU needs at least one language file to run properly... copying the executable to your desktop isn't the way to go... that's why we have shortcuts ;)

The bells and whistles thing... I agree that software can become to bloated; that being said, I personally believe (cue google search, miss teen usa  :-X) that ZU is a long way from that...

First of all all the new planned/already included features (in 2.5) has to do with uninstalling (kind of, anyway).
Secondly the new stuff is 'offers' hidden away in menus (mostly).
Thirdly it is new segments in the code. Even though the new stuff might be buggy it won't interfere with the old stuff (unless it of course crashes everything, but it won't do that unless you use it ;)).

Oh, and I am not including a shredder feature. Some people are just to paranoid :P

The 2.5 backup feature is, as mentioned, just an automatic copies (basically) mirroring the content of the log-directory to 'LogBackups'-folder... (If you delete the analyzed log from within ZU it just deletes the file in the log-dir, so it will be possible for you to recreate it). You will have to manually put them back if needed, though.

The update-thing... I can move it to the help-menu, no sweat. Starting to rename it isn't that easy, though. (Well, it is, but it creates some problems)... It will still be called the old thing in the other translations... I'll think about it...

Pascal might not be the most popular language, but it's pretty good, I think. Easy to figure out, at least :) and pretty fast to execute, compile etc. I like =)
(PHP is cool too btw :))

Just checked for your mail... thunderbird has categorized it as spam (hey, what's up with advertising for comodo?!?)...

Revo, as you talk about in your email  (no, I don't mind people talking about it ;) -- I've recommended it to a couple of users (wanting to uninstall something with no uninstaller basically) via email).

I've tried it once, and was'nt impressed, but it might have improved since then (probably have). (I dropped an icon onto the hunter-thingy and it launched the uninstall-routine for something else :S)

Anyway, I do believe that Revo features some kind of 'search for leftovers', which is also basically what 'New tool/feature: A merge of the 'scan-registry-feature' in a previous beta [...]' in ZU 2.5 will do...

PS: Now my pizza got cold :(
« Last Edit: March 17, 2008, 12:53:49 pm by Admin »

Offline scrtadmr2

• View Profile
We were online for while u posting, I was modifying prior post to your reply to make sure u understand the declaration placement.

My fault.  ;D Your prog assume the English file together. It just a matter of checking prior to retrieving. Note, I am running 2.4 and 2.5 and 2.4 in my start, shortcut. U know me, I hate clicking here and there. So, I took the 2.5 application  without the folder casing. LOL. I resolve very quickly and spent more time detailing the error report. U can quote the as-is liability.
Hopefully, others will read and not make the same. Give me a break for I just install 7 zip and it threw the uncompress file on my desktop and hurry to have supper.

If u agree, why temp file folder, ... in zsoft2.5. Prefer 2.4 and already doing backup zulog,on the same day u confirm.Since revo and myinstaller  are two other freebies and u are a freebie. Why step on each other toes. Revo an uninstaller. Zsoft application uninstaller. Myinstaller complement info on installed programs. Ccleaner, glary, etc specialized in cleaning and they are not doing application unistaller. If u were a commercial product, then I can understand as selling features.

Shredder was just sarcasm on how many products are bloating themselves with that feature. Some don"t mention algorithm and others allow u to set the number of wipes. Me paranoid, I  burn, sledge hammer, acid bath the hd. Me paranoid, I forgot to dispose the new computer and so many sleepless nights. LOL

Was to critique the vaporware rather than the software. Guess I would understand when it is running.

Backup. End of discussion for familiar with other products using that setup. Firefox allows me to rediscover my lost bookmark.

I understand. All those translators going to work. Just do it right and get over it. Translation will eventuaully trickle with correct translation. English, Danish will have.
Now,sarcasm feature to have in install. Zsoft log of install. Install prod has update. Zsoft logs of 2 install (original and update). What do u want in a free product- merging two logs?  Uninstall prod with zulog. Get the new version of install product and zsoft as new install. Hope not on someone wishlist to merge install with update zulogs. My wishlist is lean prog with a clean and fast uninstall .

Borland compiler from genius friend who I have not seen over 10 years ago who introduce me to C. P code Pascal I bought. It unique feature was portabilility and if I recall from canada higher learning - Univ of Waterloo. I have no complain for I was trying to say I can humbly program - Pascal, Fortran, Lisp, basic, SpK/Plc, Spitbol, Algolw, asmg, c, cobol-IDMS-ciics. Love to get hands-on esperience with RPG.  Php for web page to do.

Using avira but u never know when no longer free. That why I mention products in email but since cat out of the bag. Just wanted u access to lifetime update and free like clam, and avg. Would have love to to know if K..y had a free lifetime offer and someone mention to me.

Familiar with bucket software-downloaders. Thought my mouse cursor was the scope due to terminology of hunter. Later, saw the bucket for I did not notice initially. It would have help if I can download the manual  for offline.They put bells but would appreciate some info on algorithm and thus have trust in product. Shredder example never mention cleaning standard. Software has some merits hoping it does better job than ms since I lost zulog.

Sorry about the pizza. Had no breakfast and too early for lunch even though I had nice supper yesterday.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2008, 03:55:54 pm by scrtadmr2 »

Offline Admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • ZSoft Software
If u agree, why temp file folder, ... in zsoft2.5. Prefer 2.4 and already doing backup zulog,on the same day u confirm.Since revo and myinstaller  are two other freebies and u are a freebie. Why step on each other toes. Revo an uninstaller. Zsoft application uninstaller. Myinstaller complement info on installed programs. Ccleaner, glary, etc specialized in cleaning and they are not doing application unistaller. If u were a commercial product, then I can understand as selling features.

As I said previously, in my opinion, ZU is a long way from becoming bloated.

First of all all the new planned/already included features (in 2.5) has to do with uninstalling (kind of, anyway).
Secondly the new stuff is 'offers' hidden away in menus (mostly).
Thirdly it is new segments in the code. Even though the new stuff might be buggy it won't interfere with the old stuff (unless it of course crashes everything, but it won't do that unless you use it Wink).
This is still how I feel.

Why step on each others toes, you ask. Well, I don't see it that way. Personally I want one program to do a group of tasks. Not 5 programs. I don't want 5 music players that can play one file-type each, I want one music player that can play everything.
The same goes for uninstallers. I want a replacement for Add/Remove (it sucks). ZU does that.  I want to be able to see more info about an item in the list. ZU does that (the view/edit feature). I want to be able to log an installation. ZU does that. I want to be able to uninstall an application with a faulty uninstall-routine. ZU will be able to do that when 2.5 is no longer beta...

I understand your concern for bloating, but in my opinion it is a long way from happening. Don't want a feature? Don't use it :)

I have no complain for I was trying to say I can humbly program - Pascal, Fortran, Lisp, basic, SpK/Plc, Spitbol, Algolw, asmg, c, cobol-IDMS-ciics. Love to get hands-on esperience with RPG.  Php for web page to do.
Show-off :p

Offline scrtadmr2

• View Profile
Hi,
Agree, one player for I care about disk space. But if  one module kick ass and  other component sucks then I am saying -  bloated with mediocore crap. Just trying to say think twice then think again.  Want u to play devil advocate on the selection , see from different perspective - devil advocate. I do not want u to fall into the trap of putting a common features when there are more pressing priority.  I am trying to be your conscience who is  not emotionally attach and blinded by project. At the end of day, make add-on superior ideally or par with competition. To make life easy, survey vote and ask users to rank by needs.  Implement the 3 out of 5 needs.
Side note: player preference Media Player classic II, vlc MP, GOM MP. Or converter preferences  are super, media coder, any video converter.  Now u can say show off for not on computer yet but I promote good and free software.  :)

I state above case and let us leave it at that. Just trying to protect u. I have a feeling u are doing in 2.5, the hidden. After using zsoft to uninstall Dap, I ran some reg cleaners. The cleaners pointed to some reg related to c:/program/dap. Please note this was tested  once and normally I do second time to report with exact details. So take this dap with a grain of salt. Now, if u have a cleaner then that is a needed and they would go hand in hand. Maybe u are doing a cleaner but not telling the users. For cleaners, I have to use several because each one does a part and I try to get the sum of part by running 5 reg cleaners. Now, if u have THE CLEANER I would definitely tolerate your artistic freedom and keep my mouth shut on bloating.

I am not showing off for you should see I took 100 lines of code to display "Hello World". LOL. Oh, I am showing off 100 lines. My statement was made in regards that u said Pascal not popular language. I meant to say I consider it popular then for the P code buzz when PC first came out. My experience background is mainframe and I follow my heart to be in Montreal and had not program for quite a  while. It been 13 years and my background is programming even though I work with my hands. Old man to create a nest egg and would have to get in touch with my genius friend to get back on the wagon.or program in RPG. Blue chip companies cannot accept that gap in mainframe. Each language is popular and merit for certain features. Spitbol for string manipulation, Lisp recursive, asmg for speed, etc.

Let stop this thread on bloating for I created a new thread on prototyping zsoft beta. Basically, bug/nuisance in 2.5.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2008, 12:31:10 pm by scrtadmr2 »