Author Topic: a couple of questions  (Read 6113 times)

Offline greyowl

• View Profile
a couple of questions
« on: August 18, 2008, 12:00:22 am »
I have some programs that I want to uninstall, but they were installed before I started using ZU to Analyse the installation.  So I am wondering if using ZU to uninstall them is any different than using Windows Add Remove Programs.   Does ZU clean out more?  If not, would I be better to use something like Revo Uninstaller for these programs?

Secondly, I do not understand the setting Uninstall Priority?  I couldn't find anything about it in the Help file.  What does it mean, what does it do, and how do I decide on the setting.

Thanks for the help and ZU.

Offline Admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • ZSoft Software
Re: a couple of questions
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2008, 09:27:28 pm »
While I have answered (most) of this in an email, I'll answer it here too, so others can find it as well...

(Copy-past from my email reply)
If you use the 'Installed Applications' tab of ZSoft Uninstaller (ZU), then yes, it's "the same"* as using Add/Remove.
While I'm not 100% sure how Revo works, I believe that the upcoming version will work roughly the same way.
If it's better to use Revo or the newest beta of ZU... I can't tell you that. Obviously, I would chose ZU, but it's up to you -- do what
 you're most comfortable with. If you're not comfortable with using beta software, go with Revo. (That being said, I'll say that ZU beta is
pretty stable).

*: Version 2.4.1 (current final release) tries to figure out where the installed folder is and asks if you want to remove it if it's still there. Version 2.5 (beta) will search for leftovers in the registry and some places on your hd.

The the second part of your question (which I don't think you asked in your email):
The uninstall priority is the priority class an uninstallation routine is launched with (if that makes any sense).
E.g. --- if you press Ctrl+Alt+Delete and go to the 'Processes' tab, you will be able to set the priority of a program (by right-clicking). If a program has a lower priority it will be 'pushed back' if another program is using your cpu... The Uninstall Priority function in ZU allows you to start an uninstallation with the selected priority (uninstallation from 'Installed Programs' and 'Hidden Programs' tabs only)...

Hope this clears it up, otherwise feel free to ask again.

Offline greyowl

• View Profile
Re: a couple of questions
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2008, 04:42:05 am »
Thanks for the information---this seems clear to me now.