Author Topic: GetASFstream incomplete uninstall  (Read 7519 times)

Chis@

GetASFstream incomplete uninstall
« on: May 08, 2009, 12:59:59 am »
I'm excited to have found this uninstaller software, it was suggested to me in this forum (http://forum.piriform.com/index.php?showtopic=21683&view=getnewpost)

But first I'd like to know if it's possible to remove leftover files from a program previously uninstalled with Add/Remove from control panel, and how do I go about searching these leftover files with ZSoft?

Thanks in advance  :D

Offline Admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • ZSoft Software
Re: GetASFstream incomplete uninstall
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2009, 11:45:03 am »
Well... Not exactly, but if you are using the beta, you can 'cheat', so to speak... It is a little manual work, and it's not guaranteed to remove everything, but it might find something... This is what you do:
Create a file called whatever.zpu in the 'PostUninstall' folder in the ZSoft Uninstaller (ZU) beta folder... In this file, on the first line add the folder where the program was installed (or leave the line blank, if you don't remember/know), and on the subsequent lines, add keywords to search for (ie. for instance 'GetASFstream', so that your file will look something like this:
Code: [Select]
C:\Program Files\GetASFstream (or a blank line)
GetASFstream
any-other-keywords-to-search-for

Then open ZU, and go to Functions -> Post Uninstall Manager, and find 'whatever' (or whatever you called the file). Double-click it (or click the 'Perform Post Uninstall on selected program'). In the new window you might want to put a checkbox in 'Only return whole-word-style matches' -- then click next.
ZU now searches your desktop, startmenu and sendto menu for shortcuts, application data folder and registry for something that matches the search-words... (maybe more, I don't really remember).

When the search is finished you can remove what was found from within the program...

Please note, that if you had uninstalled the program though ZSoft Uninstaller (Beta) the .zpu file would have been created automatically, and you would have been asked right away if you wanted to search for leftovers...

Chis@

GetASFstream incomplete uninstall
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2009, 11:09:59 pm »
Thanks for the tutorial  :-* - I understand now that it's important to have the installation of the software monitored if I want a hassle free and complete uninstall - I'm all about the least amount of trouble and work!  ;D

I dunno why another thread was created, since I replied to my initial post http://forum.zsoft.dk/index.php?topic=230.0  :-[

Offline Admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • ZSoft Software
Re: GetASFstream incomplete uninstall
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2009, 11:33:12 pm »
I understand now that it's important to have the installation of the software monitored if I want a hassle free and complete uninstall
Yes, definitely, although, as mentioned, if you had done the 'normal uninstall' trough the ZU beta, the .zpu post uninstall file would have been created for you (but yes, a monitored installation is best).

I dunno why another thread was created, since I replied to my initial post http://forum.zsoft.dk/index.php?topic=230.0  :-[
I'll delete the other post :)