Author Topic: Exporting, sharing, importing, "install analyses results" between ZSoft users  (Read 5406 times)

Offline Seb

• View Profile
This is a pretty big one, I'll try to explain as best as I can  :-X

If one user does an analysis, you can give them an option so that they can export the results of the analysis (in the form of an export file with a special .zu extension ;D or just .txt) and then they can upload this export file and share it with the rest of the world. Then someone who hasn't done an analysis for the install of that software can import the analysis and can cleanly uninstall.

With a function like this, a huge database of export files/analyses could grow and eventually cover the millions software that exist!  :o

This would be useful for people who have installed programs without ZSoft analysis, because they can just find someone else's export file and do a clean uninstall.

I hope this feature doesn't sound like jibberish  :-\ because I think it's a feature that could shoot ZU into the stratosphere.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2005, 11:58:49 am by Seb »

Offline Admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • ZSoft Software
Sounds good, but (yeah there is a but :() often the installation adds files to your current users path... If your user is called "Seb" and eg. Donald (duck :-X) tries to uninstall the software on his user (eg. donald) it wouldn't delete everything... Paths changes in different versions of Windows too...

I however guess this (to some extend) could be solved by some kind of parser that found these special paths...

I'll definitely give it some thought, but won't promise anything (at least in the near future)...

Offline Seb

• View Profile
Yeah, I thought about that too. People may not be running their comp from C: drive, they might not use the Program Files to put their apps. So creating the intelligence would be a challenge for you, but it would be very cool if you could make it happen :)

Maybe to introduce this feature you could rely on prompting the user to input the "unknown" details.

Of course, I wouldn't expect you to have something like this ready for 2.2.7, but I'm convinced it would be a killer feature if done right.  ;)
« Last Edit: November 02, 2005, 03:59:03 pm by Seb »

Offline Admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • ZSoft Software
Well I have news for you: There is not going to come a v2.2.7 >:D
The next version is going to be 2.3...

And prompting the user for the path to eg. program files isn't necessary, that can be "extracted" either from the windows api or from the registry :)

I am however not saying it's going to be an easy feature to implant ::)

Offline Seb

• View Profile
Well I have news for you: There is not going to come a v2.2.7 >:D

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!  :'( :'( :'(

The next version is going to be 2.3...

oh, ok  :)

Offline Admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • ZSoft Software
Hehehe