Author Topic: Show Recorded Information: function caused crash  (Read 4717 times)

Offline idlerwheel

• View Profile
Show Recorded Information: function caused crash
« on: February 19, 2006, 06:24:22 am »
The "Show Recorded Information" button caused my system to crash twice. In each failure, the routine caused two instances of Notepad to be loaded, each named "temp."? Nothing was visible on the screen except for an empty full-size notepad window. Task manager showed resource use at 100%.

I'm running Windows XP, SP 2.  ZSoft Uninstaller is v2.3.
I cannot find any mention of this selection in the help system. Is this a function that slipped in from an Alpha version by accident?

Richard
« Last Edit: February 19, 2006, 06:26:01 am by idlerwheel »

Offline Admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • ZSoft Software
Re: Show Recorded Information: function caused crash
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2006, 09:40:02 am »
No, the function didn't slip in from an alpha version. The help file is unfortunately very outdated :(

About the bug: I'm going to send you a PM with the link to a new exe I hope you will 'put to the test' :)

Offline idlerwheel

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2006, 07:11:20 am »
I've rethought thiis function. When I ran the released version again, I discovered that with certain installations, the "show" function took so long to write to Notepad that I thought that the system had hung. Eventually, the screen became populated with the text.  The debug method was much faster.

Perhaps you've taken care of this already, but if not, let me make a suggestion here. I'd like this function to allow easy exporting and printing. Users may want to analyze this data, and I can process information a lot better on a sheet of paper than I can on a computer screen.

It also occurred to me that this data may be so extensive as to be larger than Notepad's limit. The last time that I installed Real Player, the installation tracker report showed more than 5,000 lines of changes -- 47 pages of printout! Of course, I will never install a product from Real Networks again! This is my own personal worst case. Should ZSoft Uninstaller be able to issue a report like this? Should the program be able to handle such an awful stuation? And certainly, uninstalling such an awful whale of a program would take a very long time for processing, during which the user would probably think that the system had hung or crashed.

My feeling is that, yes: the program should be able to handle such a situation -- simply because it will come up. Unfortunately, Real's codecs are the universal standard for downloading radio programs, and most people will innocently install this software.

Offline Admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • ZSoft Software
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2006, 04:51:13 pm »
I've added saving and (at a lower priority) printing of the "recorded information list" to my todo list :)